These are the days when more and more people are lured into the career of freelancing. Flexible working hours, being your own boss, saving the time earlier taken for travelling etc attract many towards choosing freelancing as a career option. In most cases people are interested in making fast money, which is prompting them to take up freelancing. But you should understand that it is also a business and as such certain business principles can be applied to make it a successful venture.
- Allow time to get off the ground :- Like any business, freelance writing career takes time to get established.
Of course, i9nternet writing market has made it easier to freelance. But it takes time to build up a large client base, to identify your strengths as a writer and get established.
- Time is money:- The money you earn in freelancing depends on your experience, efficiency in sales and marketing and other factors.
In the initial stages of your writing career you have to spend much time in honing your skills and establishing networks, that is a strong client base. You have to decide judiciously how to spend time and shoot for rates accordingly.
- Loyal customers :- It is important to have loyal customers for a successful freelancing career. One loyal client is always better than a dozen one shot buyers. Once you are able to give hundred percent satisfaction to a customer there is the possibility of retaining him for ever. There is every possibility that whenever they have work, they will contact you first. If you have a dozen such clients you are heading towards the path of a secured future.
- Crush competition creatively :- Competition is there in every field.
In order to crush competition there is no need to lower the charges as a novice. Rather it would be better to add value to the product by giving something unique. It can be providing some extra information or anything that will make you stand apart from the crowd.
- Provide quality work :- Quality work comes with good writing skills.
In fact it is a learned art, which has to be constantly improved upon. Whichever level you reach, always remember that there would be still scope for improvement.
- Perseverance :- Many small business end with in six months of their opening. Tenacity is needed to guarantee success in freelancing.
If you quit soon, you will be a loser.
- Marketing skills :- Better marketing skill are needed along with writing skill to be successful in freelancing. Creating website is the most appropriate strategy in the present scenario.