There are a lot of hurdles to overcome when you decide to author a book. Here is a list of some of the mistakes we frequently see authors make, and some tips on how you might avoid repeating their errors.
- Poorly designed cover. Whether you like it or not, readers will judge your book by its cover. After weeks, or months of intense writing, it can be difficult to turn your focus towards the book's art. However, if you wrap your professional book with an amateur cover, your sales could be critically hurt.
- Unprofessional editing. It only takes one significant mistake to make a reader slam your book shut and return it to the shelf. Even if you've been writing or editing for years, it's very easy for your mind to skim over the same errors over and over. It is critical that every bit of text in your book is seen by multiple sets of eyes.
- Lack of online presence. Websites like myspace and facebook have enhanced the online social scene to unparalleled levels. With the millions of people who use these sites and the many opportunities to maintain free or fairly cheap websites, it has never been easier to reach millions of potential customers with such ease.
- Lack of a clear audience. When writing your book, it is important to remember that you are writing to spark the interests of a certain type of reader. Always keep in mind that your book needs to be tailored to your readers’ wants, not your own interests.
- Lack of marketing. There are many cheap or even free ways to market your book, most of which are implemented by the professionals at Higher Level Publishing. But if you want to see a major return on your book, you need to invest enough money to reach out to as many potential readers as possible.
Danny Stooksbury is a journalist, an author, and the founder of Higher Level Publishing. Mr. Stoooksbury helps independent authors achieve their dreams of publishing profitable books by using modern advances and insider tips to cut publishing costs. To learn more about Mr. Stooksbury or Higher Level Publishing, visit http://www.higherlevelpublishing.com