Some people really don’t like having to write an article or papers. The general idea of these people is that no-one will read the article anyways so why waste time! At the other end, reading a boring and bland article can be just as unpleasant. Articles should be full of information and get your message across in a short amount of time. If someone somewhere reads your article – it has not been in vain.
But to get your article read, you need to write it! You need to make it interesting. You don’t need to make writing your article a difficult task. Follow these pointers and guidelines and you may even start to enjoy writing your articles – not to mention start to make some money from them!
Remember – to write an article, a good article you will need to be knowledgeable about that topic. You probably already own a site so know all about it. Writing an article about a topic you are experienced in is much less stressful – all you need to do is make it interesting and creative.
To help make your articles enjoyable and well read, here are my 7 secrets to success.
1) Make sure you have a great title or header – it needs to grab the readers attention and draw them into reading the rest of your article. Sometimes the use of bold statements or questions which contain hot keywords will draw readers in. Titles must, of course, describe the content of your article but should also be short and concise Use titles like, “Tips on making her want you more”, or “How to make her swoon and blush” . You could also use titles that can command people, for example, “Make her yours in six easy ways”. These sort of titles reach out to a person’s emotions and draws them in.
2) Don’t make your paragraphs too long – short paragraphs are much easier to read and there is less chance that they will have to re-read each paragraph which may cause them to give up reading it altogether. Long paragraphs with lots of words can be too confusing and too much like hard work to read. The paragraph will be ditched and if there are many long paragraphs the whole article will be disregarded. A paragraph can be just a short sentence, sometimes just one word!
3) Use bullets or numbering – it’s a really simple and easy way to guide the reader to your tip or point quickly. It’s obvious where the tips start. Design your article – make it look nice. Format the bullets or numbers with indentations.
4) Don’t complicate your article – use simple words that everyone will understand. It's no good using words that makes reach for the dictionary. Use the simplest words possible to get your point across. I always say “Write for the Smiths and the Smythes will understand it as well". Smith being a common name and Smythes more upper class (supposedly).
5) It’s a good idea to use sub-headings to divide your paragraphs in your article. This will break each point into sections but still won’t break up your article completely. Moving from one point to another is easier with sub headings too. You’re less likely to lose your readers attention and you will definitely get the reason for your article across to them.
6) Make sure your facts and figures are correct. Make sure they look good – use tables to ensure it looks impressive. Facts and figures give your article a commanding presence.
7) Keep them interested from start to finish. From your opening paragraph, use great descriptions and metaphors to drive home your point – but make sure you don’t over do it. Driving your examples with graphic metaphors and similes would make it easy for them to imagine what you are talking about. Make the experience pleasurable and enjoyable for them.
Publishing pro and author/filmmaker Barry Sheppard has written and published many books with hundreds of reviews in newspapers, TV and radio. He is now concentrating on eBook writing/publishing and starting his own television station.