Saggy skin in the abdominal area can result from many things- pregnancy, extreme weight gain and the loss and simply the loss of elasticity as you age. Whatever the reason, you've got loose skin draping over your waistband and you hate it. You can't wear the size clothes you should and forget about going to the beach or pool.
A tummy tuck can help you with your problem. A tummy tuck can do a lot of things for you, but there are some things it can't do. If you are thinking about having this procedure, you need to have realistic expectations. Here's what you need to know:
A tummy tuck can. . .
1. Remove excess skin. In the case of pregnancy and weight gain, the skin gets stretched to its limits. After the baby is born or the weight is lost, the skin may not bounce back to normal. This is particularly true after multiple pregnancies or extreme weight gain and prolonged weight gain. This cosmetic procedure makes an incision in the pelvic region and the excess skin is cut away. The remaining skin is pulled taut, flattening the area and showing off your abdominals.
2. Restores muscle strength. While the incision is open, your surgeon can also pull your abdominal muscles together and strengthen them for better control. This is especially important after pregnancy because the muscles are stretched to their limits along with the skin. Strengthening the muscles also gives a more shapely contoured abdominal area.
3. Improve self-esteem. You will feel better about your body once the sagging skin is removed. Your clothes will fit better and you won't be self-conscious in a bikini or with your shirt off. Intimacy may even improve because you are more confident in your skin and like the way you look.
It cannot. . .
1. Substitute for diet and exercise. A tummy tuck should be the last step in your weight loss process. Even if liposuction is used at the same time, it is only to remove the stubborn fat that you couldn't lose. You should be at the weight you want before having this procedure.
2. Last forever. Yes, the results are permanent. . . at least until age starts catching up with you again. But, for the results to last you have to take care of yourself. Prior to the surgery, make sure you are at the weight you want to be and have maintained it for awhile and that you are done having children. If you can't guarantee this, wait on the procedure. After the excess skin is removed, anything that stretches the area can create even bigger problems as well as ugly stretch marks. As you age, you will lose elasticity, but that will much further down the road.
Once you know you are ready for a tummy tuck, now you have to find the right surgeon. Make sure he is board certified and licensed in plastic surgery and has experience with this procedure. During your consultation, be clear about your expectations but also take your surgeon's advice into consideration. He will evaluate your body and your health to make sure you are ready to proceed.
At USA Plastic Surgery in Dallas, tummy tuck surgery is performed by a board certified plastic surgeon known for expertise in surgery. If you go into the process with realistic expectations, you can really improve your physical and emotional well-being. Visit http://www.usaplasticsurgery.com