Every one wants a rapid pain free recovery after a surgical procedure. While there are may variables that control the duration of a recovery there are however many things you can do to speed things along and achieve a satisfactory result. If you want to see a plastic surgeon hedge just try to pin him down on how much will it hurt, how much will I bruise and how long will I need for my recovery. It is not an exact science but there are several things that can be done to keep bruising and swelling down to a minimum with any surgical procedure.
1. Keep off aspirin or aspirin containing products for 2 weeks prior to surgery and after surgery. Aspirin effects the way platelets work and increase bleeding time. By avoiding these products you allow your body to function at peak efficiency.
2. Take an arnica base product prior to surgery or Bromelian - get instructions from her surgeon on recommendations for these products. Both Arnica and Bromelian have been clinically shown to decrease swelling and post surgical bruising. Bromelian is actually pineapple extract; it contains some powerful digestive enzymes that help to dissipate established bruises as well.
3. Keep your head or the part operated on elevated after surgery. This may not always be possible.
4. Keep iced compresses on the operated area as much as possible for the first 36 hours after surgery.
5. You should make every effort to keep your blood pressure under control following surgery. This is done by avoiding activities that increase your blood pressure such as bending, stooping, lifting, straining and yelling.
Following these tips you should enjoy a speedy recovery. Everyone is different and can expect different results. Some are just blessed with a god given ability to heal rapidly, others must seek out remedies to help mother nature.