Pune is a welcoming Indian city found in the heart of the Maharashtra region of the country. The city boasts a large population of students, and is often referred to as the ‘Culture Capital’ of the province. Its cultural highlights attract many hundreds of thousands of travellers during the year, making it one of the most important tourist-destinations in central-western India.
Hotels in Pune City Centre greatly vary in price ranges, service quality, and styles. However, at least there are plenty available. When visiting the city, it is possible to spend several days exploring the many attractions of town. However, there are also a number of activities to help entertain holiday-makers. The top 10 activities in Pune’s centre are offered below:
1. Food – the first thing tourists should do when they arrive is to head down to the local restaurant to try some of the local cuisines. The Puran Poli dessert is always a crowd pleaser, as is the Bhakri, Pithla and Mastani milkshake.
2. Festivals – festivals are part and parcel of the local culture of Pune. There are numerous held throughout the year, including the famous Pune International Film Festival.
3. Bazaars – visitors can find some bazaars located throughout the streets of the town. They provide great bargains and interesting products for tourists, but don’t forget to haggle those prices down!
4. Air Sightseeing – view the city from above, from the comfort of a glider! Yes, that’s right, gliders are available at the airport, offering tours of Pune’s city centre from a place not usually experienced. The prices of these guided glider tours are not overly expensive, so tourists who enjoy a thrill will certainly enjoy and afford this one.
5. Museums – one of the most spectacular parts of Pune’s tourism is the museums of the city. However, it is best to probably find tours of the main museums, simply because they can be confusing, so having that guide is definitely worth it.
6. Temples and Palaces – Pune contains so many spectacular temples, but again similar to the museum scene of the city, it is best viewing these is best achieved via guided tours. The palaces of the city are also in need of touring, which is much easier than trying to see the sites alone. Aga Khan Palace, Shaniwar Wada and Vishrambaug Wada are just some of the palaces located within the city centre.
7. Music Centre – there is a popular music centre found in the heart of the city. It is often referred to as Pune Music Cultural Centre, and certainly lives up to its name, as the establishment is the centre of Pune music scene.
8. Malls – several large malls can be found in the city centre, allowing shopaholics the chance to satisfy their cravings. Some of the most important malls in the city include the Nucleus Shopping Centre and Pune Central. The Nucleus Shopping Mall is particularly popular, and is really a work of art. Other places worth shopping in Pune are Mega Mart and KK Bazaar.
9. Books – one of the more important selling points of the city of Pune is its many book stores found within the streets. As a matter of fact, the city is mad when it comes to books. Travellers who enjoy finding great book bargains will feel like they have died and gone to readers heaven when exploring the streets of the city.
10. Picnicking and Horse-riding – although it sounds strange that visitors can go horse-riding and picnicking within the city of Pune, it is not an over-exaggeration. The famous Bund Garden in the centre of town offers a range of activities for guests, including horse-riding, boating, and plenty of picnicking spots.
Lek Boonlert is an editor and content reviewer at DirectRooms and is responsible for all Hotels in Pune City Centre content.