Innsbruck is synonymous with all that is good about a holiday in Austria, offering tourists and visitors some of the finest skiing in all of Europe on the city's many pistes and also a spectacular backdrop in the shape of the Alps - making for great photo opportunities too.
What many people perhaps don't associate with Innsbruck is great dining, but the Tyrolean city has all manner of high class restaurants and cheaper diners with which to entice even the most demanding gastronome.
Many of the local Innsbruck hotels are able to offer decent quality eateries within their walls, meaning that the diner does not necessarily have to go out into the snow again when having showered for dinner after a long day on the pistes. All types of cuisines can be found in Innsbruck's many restaurants, and among the best places to get a good bite to eat in the city are:
1. Café Gritsch - considered one of the coolest and trendiest places to enjoy a meal in Innsbruck, this small diner located on Anichstrasse attracts both locals and tourists alike. The restaurants is most well-known for the quality of its breakfasts which are renowned for setting the keen skier up for a long and hard day on the slopes.
2. Gasthof Wilde Mann - set in one of the most recognisable buildings in all of Innsbruck, this excellent restaurant takes the form of a 400-year old Austrian ski chalet and offers fine cuisine. Among the most popular dishes on the menu for diners are dumplings made of smoked bacon and also a local stew made with blue trout, vegetables and potatoes. The restaurant offers an Austrian twist on hearty fare and is ideal for those on the back of a long day's skiing. Also recommended for the quality of its desserts.
3. Goldener Adler Restaurant - another of Innsbruck's high quality places to dine, this restaurant can be located in the sumptuous interior of Innsbruck's best-known hotel. The chefs on site are specialists in coming up with new and different variations on classic chicken and pork themes while the restaurants also boasts a high quality and variety on its wine list. A place to splash out on if you are celebrating a special occasion but not one to indulge in every night - your stomach may end up complaining as much as your wallet does!
4. Cafe Central - a must-see for any visitor to Innsbruck, this is perhaps the most typical example of an Austrian cafe to be found in the resort. Located in the inside of the large Hotel Central, the cafe is known by locals to be the best place to drink coffee or tea in the afternoon and is also famous for its breakfasts too.
5. Mamma Mia - for those working to rather tighter budgets on their visit to Innsbruck, decent value pasta and pizza is always a good fallback option. Healthy enough food and good sized portions can be had here with dishes starting at just a few Euros.
6. Magic Pizza Kebab - tends to be busier later at night when people have put a few cold beers or warm wines away, this place stays open until midnight and serves up very good value pizza and kebabs. Central location for added convenience and a short stroll or stumble back to your hotel.
Lek Boonlert is an editor and content reviewer at DirectRooms and is responsible for all Innsbruck Hotels content.