Udhagamandalam (Ooty), the capital of Nilgiri district, is popularly known as the “Queen of hill stations’ among the tourist circuits. The height of the hills in the Nilgiri range varies between 2280 and 2290 meters, the highest peak being Doddabetta at a height of 2623 meters. A government house was built and a typical British lifestyle developed with the setting up of cottages and clubs, with facilities for tennis, golf, and horse riding. The establishment of numerous tea estates in the subsequent years secured Ooty's name in the tourist map of India. The establishment of numerous tea estates made Ooty famous. Lofty mountains, dense forest, sprawling grasslands and miles and miles of tea gardens greet the passengers on most routes. Ooty is located about 535 kilometers from Chennai, 89 kilometers from Coimbatore, and 155 kilometers from Mysore and 2812 kilometers from Kochi. The nearest airport is Coimbatore (100 Km/62 mile) which is connected to Chennai, Mumbai and Bangalore. Transfer from Coimbatore airport to Ooty is possible by car, bus or train.
Places to see:
- Government Museum – It was set up in 1989, with a view to provide education benefits to the residing and visiting population of Nilgiris district.
- Botanical Garden - . Botanical gardens are a major tourist attraction for those who visit Ooty, one of the most popular hill stations of India. This botanical garden was built in the year 1847 by the Marquis of Tweedale.
- Ooty Lake- This Lake was artificially formed by Johm Sullivan, the founder of Ooty, in 1823-25 by damming the mountain streams flowing down Ooty valley.
- Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary and National Park- 67 Km from Ooty enroute to Mysore, this Sanctuary lies at an elevation of 1140 mts. Extending over an area of about 320 sq. km it is located at the trijunction of Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- Doddabetta peak- It is 10 kms from Ooty. The height of the peak is 8640 feet’s above MSL.
- Mini Garden and Rose Garden- Mini garden is also situated on the way to the boathouse where the children amusement park is housed.
Tea and Tourism Festival- Tea and Tourism Festival were held in Ooty on 3rd and 4th of February 2007. It was planned and organized by the District Administration and the Department of Tourism.
Kodaikanal is located in the palani hill range and is under the administrative control of Dindigul district of Tamilnadu. Kodaikanal is the most beautiful and popular hill station in Tamil Nadu. Kodaikanal is situated about 7,200 feet from the sea level. The dense forest with many varieties of trees, the huge rocks in the wilderness and the enchanting waterfalls makes it a real gift for the tourists visiting this place. Kodaikanal is famous for eucalyptus oil, homemade chocolates, plums and pears. Kodaikanal is famous for the kurinji - flowers, which blossoms only once in twelve years. The local museums here will give you a good idea about the place’s past and its relevance in the present. The relics and artifacts of the Paliyans who lived in these Palani hills are carefully preserved in these museums. Kodaikanal is the most sought after honeymoon destination in South India because of its scenic beauty and it has the attribute to leave any nature lover mesmerized by its charms. There are many internationally renowned educational institutions like Kodaikanal international school, Kodaikanal Christian College etc, in and around Kodaikanal. Mother Theresa University, which is India’s one and only women’s university, is located in Kodaikanal.
Places to see:
- Kodaikanal Lake: Kodai Lake is one of the best attractions in kodaikanal. There are several activities around the lake like Cycling, Boating, Skating, Horse riding, Walking etc.
- Coakers Walk: A telescopic view house is there at Coaker's walk that will provide a panoramic view of the valley, plains and the nearby towns and should not be missed by the tourists visiting the place.
- Berijam Lake: Berijam is located southwest of Kodaikanal Lake at the end of Pillar Rocks Road.
- Bryant Park: The Park has a glass house which shelters exotic varieties of flowers. The flower show conducted every year during May, as a part of the summer festival, attracts large crowds.
- Pillar Rocks: It is located 8 Kms from the lake tower over the panoramic view. In the shadows of the pillars are shady woods that invite picnickers.
In the age of internet, booking of ticket is easy and hassle free. Online travel agencies are always updated with the price and availability list of different fleet. Bus booking , Air ticket booking is very convenient online. Online bus booking is less time consuming and a great energy saving process. Via.com offers cheap Air tickets, Cheap Air Fares, Online bus tickets booking , railway reservation; through IRCTC.