The city of Kota Kinabalu is a magnificent tourist town in the eastern region of Malaysia. It is the main access point to the Malaysian region of Sabah, and therefore welcomes many thousands of tourists every year. The city is served by the Kota Kinabalu International Airport, which also boasts domestic services.
The airport is found in the outskirts of the city, towards the southwest. Nevertheless, it is very easy to access, because the airport sits upon one of the main highways leading away from town. It is important to remember that Kota Kinabalu Airport hotels are not far from the terminals and the main highway.
There are two terminals at the Kota Kinabalu Airport – the old terminal, which is now considered to be Terminal 2, and the newer Terminal 1. The major issue with this is that the terminals are a fair distance from each other, and taxis or buses need to be taken for almost five minutes to get between them. Nevertheless, a helpful hint is to remember that Terminal 2 is set aside for low cost airlines, while Terminal 1 is assigned to domestic and international carriers.
There are a number of interesting amenities located at the airport, which are outlines below!
- Both terminal 1 and terminal 2 have very convenient check-in services at the airport. Both the low cost carrier terminal and the international terminal offer online check-in services, although the check-in areas are not overly busy during some times in the airport.
- Car park spaces number more than 1,400, meaning visitors are more than welcome to drive their vehicles to the airport. Of course, fees are required, but these differ between long term and short term travellers.
- Duty Free shops are available in the terminals. There are so many things to look at and buy, and if visitors are not wanting to purchase anything, window shopping is another fun sport. Window shopping is a common pastime for passengers on a budget or those not wanting to spend money.
- There are quite a number of automatic teller machines found in the terminal. These make it extremely easy for guests to find money for the exchange counters of the airport.
- One of the most important facilities in the airport is wireless internet. Passengers can find out more about a topic of their choice and research about it. Also, guests may want to search the internet looking for more interesting things to do in the airport. The airport website is actually harder than going through the website.
- For arriving visitors, the many travel agencies located in the arrivals hall offer the perfect tour guidance opportunities for travellers. Sometimes, tourists have no itineraries to follow. So, at the travel agencies, these tourists can purchase a day tour, several day tour, or entire holiday tour of the area.
- Because Kota Kinabalu is one of the gateways to Sabah, visitors can literally find the next transportation from the airport is the car. Car rental in the Kota Kinabalu Airport is available for all guests to enjoy.
- Guests have to eat right? Well, at the Kota Kinabalu Airport terminals, visitors will find plenty of things to make their hunger a thing of yesterday. From local Malaysian restaurants to westernised influences, there are plenty of dishes, menus, and restaurants to find.
- The perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of Kota Kinabalu’s busy terminal is located in the airline and executive lounges found throughout the large, international terminal. Guests can find internet services, a restful lounge, food and drinks all available in the lounges of the KKIA.
Lek Boonlert is an editor and content reviewer at DirectRooms and is responsible for all Kota Kinabalu Airport Hotels content.