1. Go to the beach! If anything that should be the first thing you do when you get to Phuket. Phuket is renowned for having one of the most beautiful beaches in all of Thailand and some of the top beaches in the world are found just off the coast of Phuket and even on the island. If you like the face paced kind of life, then you would love Patong Beach. Said to be infamous for its nightlife and abundance of activities, Patong is great for those who want to play by day and party by night.
If you are the kind who prefers solitude more, then Nai Thon beach is just for you. This picturesque beach has yet to be discovered by the masses so head there while its still unspoiled and at its natural best.
2. Visit Wat Chalong - Wat Chalong (Chalong Temple) is filled with history and culture of Phuket. Legend even states that miracles were performed here on Wat Chaitararam (known by royal decree), and that the Wat had healing capabilities. See famous Buddhist statues such as the Poh Than Jao Nonsi and even some of the ex-abbots of the temple like Luang Poh Chuang and Luang Poh Gleum. The Grand Pagoda that dominates the temple contains a splinter of Lord Buddha's bone ( Pharmahathatchedi-Jomthaibarameepragat) Take a stroll through the place and relive the life of Buddha as depicted on the paintings hanging all over the walls.
3. Go to a Muay Thai match - This one may not be for all but (especially if you don't like violence) but it's certainly something to give a try especially since you're in the land where Muay Thai originated. One of the most popular spectator sports around, head for the boxing stadium in Phuket town on a Friday night to catch the spectacular sport of boxing with its pre-fight rituals and even music accompaniment.
4. Go for a walk through Khao Phra Thaeo National Park - One of Phuket's last untouched rainforest has been turned into a national park with simply breath-taking beauty all around. If you like trekking, go for an 8km trek throughout the park and end off at the majestic Tonsai waterfall
5. Visit Old Phuket - Streets are filled with 100 year old shop houses that have been remade into small hotels, restaurants and shops. Spend a little time here and feel the character of this island come to life as you explore the older yet attractive side of town.
Orson Johnson writes for Holiday Velvet, a website providing Phuket Villas & Vacation Rentals .