The nation of Ireland is a perfect place to take a vacation, largely due to the fact that the locals are welcoming, the landscape is stunning and the weather, well, the weather may not be as charming as everything else. Nevertheless, there are many different tourist destinations in the country, including the beautiful town of Killarney.
Killarney hotels welcome thousands of visitors a year. Most of them travel into the city via the Kerry County Airport, which is not too far away. But there is also the national highway 22 that leads into the town.
For a comprehensive look at the main tourist activities in Killarney, simply read through the points listed below.
- Horse riding is the best way visiting travellers can see the landscape of Killarney. Located just under two kilometres from the town, visitors can find a large stable with plenty of horses to ride. Two, three, four or five day tours can be purchased, but visitors who aren’t used to riding should expect to be extremely sore after a few days of horseback riding. However, if tourists aren’t up for a few days ride, then simply book a few hours on horseback. This should be enough to explore some of the country side, and keep that beauty etched into the brain for many years to come.
- Pool can be played while in the city of Killarney. There is a cue club in the heart of the downtown area, offering excellent pool facilities for guests. Until a certain time at night, the club allows younger age players to join. The ppol club is one of many facilities set up to entertain locals and visitors at night.
- Fishing is a rich activity mostly done in the lake that surround the town of Killarney. One of the best clubs for fishing is the Golf and Fishing Club located some three kilometres outside of town. It enables tourists to enjoy a game of golf and try their hand at fishing on the same day. Guys…it looks as though all your dreams have come true! All that is missing is the beer!
- Bush walking can be enjoyed near the town. The Killarney National Park is a spectacular place to experience the natural environment of the Kerry County in its purest form. There are plenty of paths and trails to follow when in the park, and visitors should be reminded to keep their eyes peeled for stunning wildlife. The national park is just a stone’s throw from the town centre.
- Swimming is just one activity available at the new leisure centre that was built in the town. However, swimming is not the only activity to be experience. Saunas are found in the centre, which is just five minutes by car from the heart of the city. Visitors will be impressed with the modern facilities found at this centre.
- Boating tours are the way to go for an unforgettable experience in Killarney. The most alluring is certainly the Rings of Kerry boat trip, which usually takes up a full day of travel. There are more than 176kms of coastline to explore around the Ring of Kerry, therefore boaters usually leave at about 10:30 and return to the docks of Killarney at about 17:00 in the evening.
- Sport watching is a great way to spend an afternoon. Gaelic football is the number one sport on offer in Killarney, and can be seen across the city on the weekends. Some of the weekends boast a professional game or league game at the Fitzgerald Stadium, which holds about 39,000 people in total.
Lek Boonlert is an editor and content reviewer at DirectRooms and is responsible for all Killarney Hotels content.