Kathmandu is one of the great places for volunteering because it provides a good avenue for both volunteering and exploring. Kathmandu is one of the largest cities in Nepal, a country considered to be one of the culturally diverse countries in Asia. Nepal is popular not only because it is a gateway to the tallest peak in the world, Mt. Everest, but it also has many other attractions that include temples, gardens, and beautiful landscapes.
When you are volunteering in Kathmandu, it is important to fully maximize your time so that you can do as much exploring while you are volunteering. There are five tips to help you maximize your time as a volunteer in Kathmandu:
1. Make a schedule of your daily activities. It would be good to prepare a schedule of your daily routine during weekdays and during weekends. That way, you can have a general picture of when your free time is. If your daily works end early, you can even plan out outdoor activities towards the evening like strolling, visiting nearby communities, shopping in their local market, trying our local dishes and activities, and others.
2. Stick to your schedule. If you already prepared a daily schedule of your daily activities, try to stick to that schedule. Like if your time for volunteer work is from 8:00 in the morning to 5:00 in the afternoon, stick to that schedule and don’t be late. That way, you could perform the duties and responsibilities that would be assigned to you without the need to work overtime to cover the hours you were late.
3. Focus on the task at hand. Another important thing to remember to maximize your time while volunteering in Kathmandu is to focus on your current task or activity. If you are currently working on a volunteer task, give all your attention to what you are doing so that you can do the job well and yield a better result. If you are currently exploring or visiting attractions, don’t ruin your mood by thinking about problems in your volunteer assignment. Enjoy your moment and worry later.
4. Explore local destinations first. While in Kathmandu, explore first what the city has before travelling to other destinations in Nepal. You could visit some of the attractions in Kathmandu after work hours so that you would have more time to explore one place every day.
5. Visit farther destination on free days. You cannot travel to farther destinations after work hours because of the short time available. Instead, you could travel to farther places during free days. Most program like those offered by Volunteering Solutions have free days during weekends. You could use these days to explore and travel farther.
These simple tips are tried and tested by many past volunteers in Kathmandu and in other places in Nepal. You can do these simple tips so you could make the most of your time in Kathmandu. They are not very difficult to do but once you observe them, you can be assured of a more successful volunteering experience.