A leather holdall bag is basically a leather bag or duffel that is used like any other leather luggage. Overall, they are a great purchase and can give you years of good use. If you are in the market for one of these leather bags, we can simplify the process down to five easy steps.
1. Decide on the style of leather holdall you need. This comes down to functional use. If you need a more traditional leather luggage type bag for travel or longer trips, we suggest the popular duffel bag style (these are the most prevalent on the market today). On the other hand, if you want a handy utility bag for errands, opt for the carryall type which looks like a big purse. If you are concerned about brand name, narrow it down as it will make the search a bit easier.
2. The next step is to do research online. Google and Amazon are great tools to finding products, specifically leather bags like a holdall. Consider the holdall's weight, number of pockets (if important), warranty, leather type (we recommend top grain or full grain), available straps, and any other attributes you feel are important. Once you have 3-5 candidate bags, note the manufacturer, model, and online price for the next step.
3. Inspect the bag live. This is optional, not always feasible, but highly recommended. For luxury bags, you may need to go the dedicated boutique shop in a big city. For other bags, check the large retailers like Macy's, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, etc. When you handle the bag, test it's weight to see if you would be comfortable toting it around. Check the leather quality, seams, and stitching - does it feel durable? Finally, note the prices as well.
4. Find the best deal. By this point, you should know the bag you want, or at least narrowed it down to a few choices if price or availability become the deciding factor. Start by looking online for price comparisons - take into account shipping and tax charges. Do not forget Ebay as well. Next, call around to local retailers for prices. If you cannot save at least 10-15% buy purchasing online, we strongly recommend buying local. It's much easier to return or deal with defects from a local merchant. This is especially true for luxury brands.
5. Make the purchase! You have done all the research and hopefully have found a great deal. Now it is finally time to pull the trigger. Don't forget to keep the receipt (for warranty purposes). Fill it up with clothes to help break it in and take it out for a test spin.
Last but not least, we also recommend buying a leather conditioner for long term maintenance and care. It will extend the life of your leather holdall significantly. Enjoy your new leather luggage bag, you deserve it!