Hermes handbags are becoming a popular obsession. Owning one takes a great deal of time, energy, and money. Hermes purses are an icon of class and status, and are in high demand among Hollywood’s elite. The most famous of all Hermes bags, the Kelly, is one of the most sought-after accessories in the world. Coming in a close second, the Birkin is popular among the younger set, and holds its own at number two in the ratings.
Hermes purses are spotted all over—from airports to Mommy and Me dates, celebrities are adding these prestigious bags as fashionable finishing touches to their ensembles. Some of the more popular bags (and the celebrities who love them) are described below:
• Kelly Osborne: Her black crocodile Birkin blends nicely with her trademark black clothing.
• Katie Holmes and Suri: Mother and daughter are seen with matching orange Hermes shopping bags after a busy day of retail therapy. Later on, Katie is seen with a rare burgundy Garden Party handbag, paired beautifully with a black pencil skirt and red heels. The Garden Party bag is one of the largest Hermes handbags, looking more like a boarding bag than a purse.
• Nicole Richie: Stopping traffic with her orange Birkin, Nicole is spotted heading to a driving class in black leggings and boots with a skinny tee.
• Britney Spears: From “worst dressed” to “classy wanna-be”, the young mother shocks us again. The pop star is spotted in a less than classic purple sun dress, but her very traditional Kelly bag makes a statement all its own.
• Kelly Klein: The former Mrs. Calvin Klein appears to be defecting to another fashion team. Mrs. Klein worked a powder blue Birkin with her jeans, completing the outfit with a black riding jacket and black boots.
• Carolyn Bessette Kennedy: John Junior’s lovely lady proved that above all else, she truly was a lady. She was spotted dressed in a classic black dress, carrying a black Kelly Bag in her gloved hands.
• Jane Birkin: Dumas-Hermes started a firestorm when he released the Hermes handbag named for this actress. The Birkin is by far one of the most popular handbags of the 21st century.
• Victoria Beckham: Bending it as only a Beckham can, the former Spice Girl kicks it up a notch with her coveted Herms collection. Rumored to own one of the largest personal collections, Victoria boasts close to fifty Hermes handbags. Spotted recently carrying a rare Himalayan Croc Birkin adorned with diamonds, Beckham emanates a personal style that is unmatched. It seems that her favorite of the collection is a white Birkin, which she’s paired with just about everything in her closet.
• Grace Kelly: The woman for whom the iconic Hermes purse was named, Kelly was seen in 1956 using a Hermes handbag to shield her royally pregnant tummy from the prying eyes of the press. The bag was renamed the Kelly bag shortly thereafter, and is today one of the top five purses in the world.
Though the two bags are quite different, their differences are not always so easily recognizable.
• Hermes only turns out five Birkin purses a week
• A Kelly Bag takes one artisan 18 hours to complete
• The Birkin is more casual, and appeals to the younger set
• The more formal Kelly bag is a timeless classic