Much attention is now dedicated to designing office furniture for children. This is now necessary because computers play such an important role in everybody's life. Comfortable, ergonomically designed desks and chairs for children can only enhance their learning experiences.
Furniture for children should be safe, functional, ergonomically designed, and easy to assemble. You may even want to consider some of the wonderful bright colors that are available.
Before going shopping, it's a good idea to measure the equipment you plan to place in the furniture; the monitor, printer, CPU, etc. The most important measurement is the size of your child versus the overall measurement of the desk, computer desk, or chair. Adjustable furniture, which is designed to grow with your child, is another option. Some computer desks and task chairs are available with adjustments. Here is a list of variables to consider when purchasing a desk for your child:
- Stationary or computer desks should have rounded edges and corners lessening the chance of your child being injured.
- Desks with dent resistant wraparound edge banding are more expensive but preferred as there is less chance of damages.
- The surfaces should be scratch, dent and stain resistant.
- Laminate surfaces are good choices and are easily cleaned.
- Frames are available in painted steel or various wood products.
- Drawers should open and close easily and smoothly.
- Hutch tops are options on many desks. Some of these hutch tops have adjustable shelves and even built in bulletin boards.
Options available on computer desks are:
- Keyboard slide-out drawer or shelf.
- Wire management slots of keep cords safely out of the way.
- Height adjustments so the desk will grow with your child.
- CPU, monitor, or printer shelves.
- Mobile computer units with casters. These units are flexible as they can be moved around.
There are several options and variations associated with children's task chairs such as:
- Ergonomically designed task chairs are made for children.
- Some chairs have a pneumatic height adjustment feature while others are adjustable manually.
- Choosing an adjustable chair will also allow the chair to grow with your child.
- Chair with a five-star base and casters are more flexible and provide mobility.
- Upholstered seats and backs are preferred because they are more comfortable.
Shopping for office furniture for children can be so much fun. You may want to take the children with you; and then again, it might be easier (and cheaper) to go alone and let the children choose the colors.
About the Author: Janet Vogel, who is retired from the office furniture industry, is now the owner of Homemade Gift Basket Ideas where you can learn how to create Homemade Childrens Gift Baskets