When buying discount pearl jewelry you don’t have to compromise on quality as pearl jewelry comes in various price ranges. Some pearl jewelry stores hype their quality as AAAA quality pearls to jack up prices, where in fact, you may be getting A or AA quality pearls. There is no such AAAA quality grading set by any of the pearl jewelry industry either in US and abroad or by any laboratory or any institutions around the globe. It is simply false and it is a red flag.
First of all it is best to understand the type of pearls and the quality. Most of us perhaps already know that when it comes diamonds, Four C's - Cut, Color, Clarity and Carat are determining factors for the value of any diamond. Then how about pearls?
Value of pearls is determined by the followings:
1. Pearl Nacre - The iridescent internal layer of a mollusk shell. It is a natural substance oyster secretes to protect its sensitive flesh. Thicker layer commands more value because of its greater luster depth.
2. Pearl Color- Surface color or body color - Most irradiated or dyed pearls have surface colors. The natural pearl colors are white, black, champagne, green, gray, aqua and gold. Again within each category there are common overtones.
3. Pearl Size - Pearls are commonly measured in millimeters (mm) in their diameter. Large size pearls carry higher prices. Even 1 mm makes the difference.
4. Pearl Surface - If outer surface is very clean and have very few blemishes such pearls carry higher value.
6. Pearl Shape - The perfect round shape always have higher pearl values but near round or off round are very much common and sold everyday. Some other shapes are potato shape; drop tear shapes, pear shapes and irregular baroque shape pearls and coin shapes etc.
Luster is the hallmark for any pearl quality.
There are various types of discount pearl jewelry made with freshwater pearls, akoya pearls or seawater pearls, Tahitian pearls and South sea pearls. Again each of these types of pearls carry different prices depending upon their quality factors explained above. Some of the online pearl jewelry stores offer discount pearl jewelry at deep discounted prices for the simple reason that have more expertise in selecting high quality pearls and often procure these pearls at very competitive prices directly from the pearl farms.