THIS IS A SHORT SCALE OF THE WIDELY USED HARI’S STRESS INVENTORY
This tool measures the amount of stress you experience in your daily life. 56 statements are included. Read slowly and carefully, state how far it is true in your case. You may please choose any one of the following five options to each item.
A. Very true, I agree fully
B. True , I agree
C. I cannot say
D. Not true , I disagree
E. Not true, I totally disagree.
Once you finish writing your responses to all items, you can go to the scoring key, given at the end. Now start taking the test.
1. I do things in a hurry.
2. I like to travel slowly.
3. I eat food faster.
4. I never interrupt when others talk.
5. I want to finish works with neatness and perfection.
6. I speak slowly.
7. Seeing lazy people I get angry.
8. I never bet with others.
9. I feel tensed on thinking about my responsibilities
10. I am not happy to wait in a queue.
11. I always consider the feelings of others while talking.
12. I take intoxicants.
13. I pray regularly.
14. I am interested in religious books.
15. My *** life is not satisfactory.
16. I watch movies and plays.
17. I practice meditation.
18. I don’t reveal secrets to others.
19. I can’t stay away from home.
20. I fell tensed on unexpected arrival of a guest.
21. I feel disturbed on an unexpected expenditure.
22. I have debts.
23. I quarrel frequently with spouse.
24. I feel that some of my family members are against me.
25. I am not properly understood.
26. I feel devaluated in society.
27. I can’t plan my financial budget properly.
28. I am not being loved.
29. I have a lot of family problems.
30. I discus my problems with family members.
31. I have experiences of loosing job unexpectedly.
32. I don’t like in engaging in love affairs.
33. I receive confusing and contradicting instructions from above.
34. I had to bear injustice silently.
35. I get angry soon.
36. I don’t loose opportunities to help others.
37. I believe and spread rumors.
38. I am a patient listener.
39. I am willing to accept my faults.
40. At times I feel like destroying everything.
41. I suffer from headache.
42. I have frequent attacks of chest pain.
43. I have poor appetite.
44. I sweat without reason.
45. I don’t get adequate sleep.
46. I have nightmares.
47. I loose control soon.
48. I hate criticism.
49. I feel anxious.
50. I feel calm.
51. I usually regret for what has happened.
52. I fell sorry.
53. I feel frustrated.
54. I am happy.
55. I am confident.
56. I feel worthless.
This is a questionnaire to measure your STRESS in different life situations.
Once you finish answering, give scores to each response.
Scores 1,2,3,4,5 respectively for A, B, C, D, E.
Qns. 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 31, 38,39,4, 46, 50,54,55 should be scored in the opposite order. ( Scores 5,4,3,2,1 respectively for A, B, C, D, E)
Find your total score.
If it is above 130, you should find out what makes you tensed, may be your life style. . . try to change it. If above 180, you need professional help to reduce stress. Thanks
Dr. Hari S. Chandran, M. Phil (Psy), Ph. D, PGDPC, C. Psych. (England) is working as Cons. Psychologist , Department of Deaddiction & Mental Health, St. Gregorios Mission Hospital, Parumala. Kerala, India. firstname.lastname@example.org