In one forum, one participant posted this query:
I think quite a few of us believe in the inadequacy of traditional science being unable to explain our universe, being unable to explain how to have a positive attitude, and how to live. We believe that possibly, there are no accidents, and the life we are living in is our choice.
I want to learn from you on how to put this spirituality into a typical skill building training program. . . . I believe that the key to helping people is not to develop their skills, but to build that little voice they hear inside their head every now and then. The voice that is bereaving them from within, and is having a conversation with them… Is there anyone here who has attempted to do this wants to share the experience?
After Emotional Intelligence, analysts are now looking at Spiritual Intelligence (SI) as another means of addressing personal, business and career related quandary. While IQ and EQ are not new, SI is still in the infancy stage. This book will discuss SI and its connection to personal effectiveness and career development.
Different authors attempted to define SI in a general perspective so as not to offend the sensibilities of different cultures. But this is what SI is not, religion. Because of this, some professionals are hesitant to explore the fullness of SI. Furthermore, it is assumed that SI is primarily based on intuition and emotion, discouraging the intellectuals in the process.
But what is Spiritual Intelligence?
Spiritual Intelligence (SI) is all about man's connection to his Creator. It is his ability to (1) recognize life principles (natural and spiritual laws) and (2) build his life in accordance with these laws. In layman's term, SI is also called ‘wisdom’ or the application of knowledge
Contrary to the general perception, Spiritual Intelligence invokes the use of reason and will. The process involves analysis and a decision. To illustrate my point is to use the law of “gravity" as example. We don't have to feel the presence of gravity to believe, this principle is in place whether we are a believer of this law or not. And in application of this knowledge (wisdom), man made decisions (technological advancement) in respect to this principle to protect lives and properties.
Since this book is about the governing laws and principles of life, let us discuss SI 101 or the foundation of Spiritual Intelligence.
The ancient proverb says:
Treasure wisdom (spiritual intelligence) and it will make you great; hold on to it and it will bring you honor. Prov. 4:8 (NCV)
Below are the fundamentals of Spiritual Intelligence.
1) Man has to recognize his spirituality. Unless a person recognize he is a spirit being temporarily dwelling in a physical body, SI will not be of help.
2) Man has to recognize a higher spiritual being, the Supreme Designer who created both the seen and unseen, also the Great Author who set the “principles" in place to uphold the creation. Removing God from the picture is like removing “intelligence" from SI, leaving you with spirituality without “content".
3) If there is a Creator and we are created, there must be a “guidebook" about “life and creation" that we can all refer to. Whenever we aquire a new gadget, we refer to the handbook to understand its features and safety use. Definitely, we have to refer to something to understand the creation and the principles that hold it together.
4) Man has to understand his purpose in life, his calling. We can be good at a skill because of a training intervention but it does not mean the use of that skill is our destiny. There are those who are “genetically encoded" into a career- those who were “anointed" or “enabled", as others have called it, to accomplish a job, meet a need or address a problem.
5) Man has to understand his place in God's heart. The personality of each individual is partly a reflection of his understanding (or lack of it) of GOD.
6) The road to a successful life depends on a person's ability to recognize “life principles", and to synchronize his life in accordance with these laws.
While it is true that our world is dynamic, and businesses and human capital, in order to survive must adopt to the changes. We must, however, recognize that there are things in life that are “permanent".
US President Jimmy Carter once said “We must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles".
Spiritual Intelligence is recognizing time honored rules and applying the same to our modern situation.
Unless an individual observed this prescription, Spiritual Intelligence will not benefit a person.
Severo Santos, also known as “Sonnie", is a Human Resource Manager, Trainer, Volunteer Worker and Forum Moderator. He has authored several articles and in the process of completing a book on Spiritual Intelligence.
Visit his blog at http://skopun.blogspot.com/