Here are 5 more of the most common filing mistakes along with solutions to make your filing chores much easier!
- Mixing folder colors randomly. This just makes a big chaotic mess. To get the most out of using color, make 5 – 6 master categories, such as Household, Financial, Health, Legal/Critical, Career/Work, Special Interests/Hobbies, etc. Assign each category a single color.
- Not using any color at all. This is just plain ugly and boring. People who use color appropriately, and don't overstuff the file drawers, are 3 times more likely to keep up with their filing.
- Having a separate folder for every credit card and monthly utility bill. I used to do this and will never ever do it again. I now have one folder for all “Credit Card Statements” and one folder for “Utilities. ” Utilities includes water bills, light bills, phone, cable, etc. Keep only 3-6 months worth unless they are tax-deductible. filing is simpler than ever when you have fewer files. If your files get thicker than 1 inch, then break them up into Credit Card Statements Jan - June and Credit Card Statements July - December.
- Staggering the tabs on your hanging folders. This makes it a pain to insert a new folder into your system. Just put all the plastic tabs to the right or to the left and you can add a new folder easily any time.
Plus it looks a lot neater!
- Shredding ALL paper. This is not necessary and makes extra work for you. You only need to shred paper with critical information like credit card numbers, social security, etc.
Ariane Benefit is a professional organizer, speaker, and author of the popular Neat Living Blog at http://www.NeatLiving.net which provides free organizing tips, home makeover photos and much more. Her mission is to inspire people to simplify, clear clutter, and organize so they can live a life they love! She provides simple practical organizing solutions for people who just want a neater, simpler, less stressful life – not a perfect one.
She can be found on the web at http://www.neatliving.org