To carry out any sort of work, the most essential thing required is motivation. A person is essentially required to stay motivated to perform any work. Motivation literally means stimulating the interest of a person to act in a particular way. This can be somewhat likened to cranking an engine.
How Can You Tell If You Are Not Motivated?
It is not difficult to tell. Things begin to look gloomy. Lethargic attitudes creep in. But the tragic part is, before you notice it there is else, perhaps your employer, who has noticed it already.
1. If you are a line employee, you will find more alibis and excuses to take breaks than normal. Although the work will not pile up for you, unlike for those who work in administrative jobs, it will eventually negatively affect the business.
2. You are frustrated about your own performance; your output does not reflect a healthy picture, and you are unprepared to take the blame for it.
3. Unwillingness or lack of interest to go to the office. Unfortunately, this is often evident even inside the office.
Why Does You Feel Unmotivated?
Although there are a multitude of reasons, the most common and important ones are:
1. Feeling of inferiority due to lack of training or expertise. Inferiority could also originate due to a subordinate or a colleague skyrocketing past you.
2. Your hard work and exemplary performance is not recognized and you clearly see a good chance being wasted due to rejection of your ideas. The latter reason can further demotivate you if you suspect a conspiracy, even if you can not substantiate it.
3. Soured relationship with boss or with a coworker and no significant increase in salary all contribute to render you unmotivated.
4. A souring relationship with a spouse, broken marriage or worse, death of a family member can devastate anyone easily. It is natural for anyone to become demotivated under these circumstances, despite efforts to contain emotions. Domestic problems like this of different degrees can quickly manifest as dampened spirits at work.
The Professional Risks Of A Demotivated Working Style
Not recuperating and failing to come to terms with life and work have a potential danger of leading to your dismissal. Languishing in such state of mind in professional work environments, with self-pity, where work demands your full attention, negatively affects your professional life.
Try meditation, walking in the wee hours, joining a social club or any unconventional way to come out of that negative feeling as fast as you can. If all else fails, you may have to look for another job.
Tony Jacowski is a quality analyst for The MBA Journal. Aveta Solution's Six Sigma Online ( http://www.sixsigmaonline.org ) offers online six sigma training and certification classes for lean six sigma, black belts, green belts, and yellow belts.