There are only two books in the Bible that tell us exactly why they were written. First is the book of John, written so that we can know how to believe in Jesus.
John 20:31 “But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. "
The second book is 1 John so that we can know for sure that we have been saved.
TEXT: 1 John 5:13 “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. "
In the book of 1 John there are five clear tests that shows us how to know that we're saved. And if we pass these five tests, then we can know for sure that we are saved.
TEST #1 - We know we're saved because we obey God. - 1 John 2:3 “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. "
It's not enough to say we love Jesus. We must keep His commandments. And when we do this scripture tells that we know that we know Him.
TEST#2 - We know that we are saved because our attitude is different. (Others see the change in us) - 1 John 3:14 “We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. "
Where we once lived our lives for ourselves, we now live for Christ and others (servants). We now really love people rather than just use them for our own personal fulfillment. We start looking to give rather than to receive. This is a telltale sign that were truly saved and children of God.
TEST #3 - We know that we are saved because our love is real - 1 John 3:18 “My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. "
We do not just tell people we love them. We let our actions show them. The real believer doesn't say, “Call me if you need me". Instead they search for and recognize others needs and proceeds to help fill them. This is another sure sign that we know we are now born of the spirit, rather than the flesh.
TEST #4 - We know we're saved because of God's Spirit -
1 John 3:24 “And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us. "
1 John 4:13 “Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit. "
Rom 8:16 “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:"
TEST #5 - We know we're saved because of God's Word - 1 John 5:13 “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. "
Now that we've passed these five tests that assures us that we are without a doubt saved and we know we've received the Holy Spirit. The day we received Christ into our hearts we had a desire to give God control of our lives.
After we've given our hearts to God there are certain things He wants us to do. However we do these things because we are save, not so we can be saved.
There are thousands of people in church pews all over the world that do the things that they believe will please God that are as lost as a goose.
1. We are to grow up in Christ, not remaining static in our spiritual experiences - Eph 4:15
"But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even
Christ:" (The Church)
2. We are to grow in grace and knowledge of the things of God - 2 Peter 3:18 “But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. "
3. We should desire to grow as we read the word - 1 Peter 2:2 “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:"
4. We are to be witnesses of Jesus Christ to others - Acts 1:8 “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. "
5. We are to live in a constant attitude of prayer - 1 Thess 5:17 “Pray without ceasing. "
6. We are to pray in the Holy Ghost letting Him have control of our thought life when we pray - Jude 20 “But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, "
7. We are to receive help from the Holy Spirit when we do not know how to pray - Rom 8:26 “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. "
8. We should join ourselves with a body of believers and regularly attend worship - Heb 10:25 “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. "
9. We should give to God - 2 Cor 9:7 “Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. "
Visit our website today, and receive assistance with finding God's purpose in your life. Enjoy the many free tools that are available to assist you with your spiritual growth, professional Christian counseling, answers to frequently asked questions, daily news articles that affects Christians and political information.
Author: Ray Turner - Retired school teacher from Oklahoma State University's School of Technical Training “Communications". Website dedicated to encourage and teach others to find God's gifts in their life, and to use them to bring others to Christ.
With the election just months away I will be focusing some of my articles on “Politics According To Scripture" http://thebridgetochurch.com/