There is a saying that if your life isn't expanding, it's contracting. So if you're feeling stuck in a rut or find yourself being narrow-minded, it's time to broaden your horizon and become open to all the wonderful possibilities in life. This isn't a difficult task, in fact it's fun! It isn't overwhelming either; it's really very freeing. Here are five easy ways to expand your horizon:
1) Get outdoors! I just returned from leading a women's retreat in the Virgin Islands. We met each morning in an opened air pavilion, looking out over the Caribbean Sea and the surrounding islands. The expansive view alone was healing, calming, and illuminating. So step outside, walk in an open field, climb a mountain, sit in a garden, or walk on the beach. Literally expand your visual horizon. Feel the wind and sun on your face and let nature widen your view on life.
2) Do something new, just for the fun of it! There is a fun new movie out called “The Bucket List" about two ailing old men setting out to complete a list of all the things they wanted to do before they die. Why wait until your sick! What is something you've always enjoyed doing but haven't done for years? Set a date with yourself and do it! Revisit the childlike joy of doing something just because it makes you happy.
3) Be curious, learn something new! What is something that you've always wanted to know more about? How would you answer the question, “I've always wondered. . . ?" Set out to discover something new in the world around you. Is there a book you've always wanted to read or a class you want to take? What topic or issue do would you like to increase your understanding about? Expand your mind!
4) Make space in your life! De-clutter your day of endless errands. Stop wasting your energy on things that aren't really important to you. Find the space to breath and the time to be quite. The vastest, most unexplored universe is the one within your own heart. Take the time to listen to your inner voice.
5) Be of service! Give of yourself to others. Walk in another person's shoes, see the world through their eyes, and rediscover gratitude, forgiveness, and generosity. Opening your heart will most definitely widen your perspective on life.
Over the few months, see if you can accomplish one goal in each of these five areas. Spring is approaching, the days are lengthening, and it is the perfect time to step outside the box, to be adventuresome, and to witness all the new growth around you. Go for it! Embrace the possibilities and broaden your horizon.
Karin Marcus, Certified Life Coach / Retreat Leader
“Let the beauty of what you love, be what you do" Rumi
Download your complimentary “Walking with Intention: A Self-Guided Mini Retreat"
Copyright (c) 2008 Karin Marcus