Unhappy that another New Year's Eve has rolled around? Feel like there's nothing to do? You aren't alone. Millions of people are in that same boat with you. The good news is that half the adult population being single, so you have plenty of company to help ring in a fun new year.
Here's a list of suggestions on what to do and things to try. Pull a few friends together and celebrate single style!
1) Go to a Spa with a Girlfriend. Get pampered - honor yourself with professional skin treatments, massages, aromatherapy, Reiki, hot rocks, steam showers, detoxifying seaweed wraps, etc. Start the New Year with a beautiful new you
2A) Have a Fun At-Home Spa Night. Invite all your single girlfriends of all ages. Pick up a few do-it-yourself treatments at a bath and body or drug store that you can help each other with. Play soothing music, give each other manicures and pedicures, make a few special treats like fancy coffees or smores, etc.
2B) If you and/or your friends have kids and no babysitter, set them up in the family room with video or board games, puzzles or teach them how to play charades to keep them busy while you get pampered.
3) Have a Chick-Flick Movie Marathon! Make up the Cosmos and watch Sex and the City DVDs, rent a bunch of feel good movies or comedy films and make popcorn. Take out the tissues and share a few tear-jerkers like Beaches - that's a classic crier. Whatever makes you happy! Here are some of my all time, classic, feel good, happy ending chick flicks:
Dangerous Beauty - Venice in the 1500's (My all time favorite)
Practical Magic - Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman
Just Like Heaven - Reese Witherspoon falls in love out of her body!
Legally Blonde - Reese Witherspoon again goes to Harvard Law - so funny
Much Ado About Nothing - Light-hearted Shakespeare with Kenneth Brannag, Emma Thompson, etc.
Shakespeare in Love - Gwyneth Paltrow - Shakespeare falls in love
Chocolat - Johnny Depp movie about a gypsy woman who owns a magical chocolate shop
Chances Are - Robert Downey Jr. and Cybil Shepherd in a movie about love and current/past life overlap
4) Throw a Nostalgic Dance Party for the Girls. Pick your favorite music genre - maybe it's 80's New Wave or 70's Disco or Motown, or Country Line Dancing. Have plenty of CD's, pick some good wines, make margaritas or mojitos and dance the night away. You'll not only have a blast, but you'll burn plenty of calories at the same time. You can even suggest costumes to get everyone in the mood. It's hard to dance, hear your favorite music and still feel mopey.
5) Offer a Vision Quest Party. Feeling upbeat about the new year with goals you hope to achieve? Here's how to leverage that positive energy. Host a Vision Quest with your friends. Start by setting the intention of your focus for the evening - to stage a platform that readies you for a successful New Year! You can also try taking a guided journey to visualize your success.
Visit any New Age - Holistic store or even Barnes and Noble might have a book with exercises to do. Ask friends to bring magazines and create your Treasure Maps - a collage that represents your inspired achievements for the coming year. This can be a rewarding and empowering process for bringing in the New Year, especially if you are goal-oriented and spiritually-minded.
6) Attend a Yoga Retreat. There might still be rooms if you call today. Immerse yourself in healthy practices to start the year with a wellness attitude. This type of adventure takes all the pressure off and was one of my personal all time favorite New Year's ever!
7) Host a Game Night Bonanza. Not a dancer or spa type? No problem, play games instead! From Pictionary - one of my family's favorites, to Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly, or Cranium, there are so many fun games that will keep you busy, thinking and laughing for hours.
8) Play Poker. Board games are for children you say? Fine, let's play cards! Pick any of your favorite card games from gin, to cribbage, or even bridge, there's a game for everyone. Mix things up and play a different game every hour, or get serious and play till you win it all! Competition can be a lot of fun.
That's a total of eight novel ways to ring in the New Year that capitalize on your single status. Pick one and go to town planning the best New Year's Eve ever. Fun is a state-of-mind you know, so perk up, face the future with a positive outlook and enjoy the party!
To get f*r*e*e advice on 10 Reasons Why Women Should Never Pay on the First Date, visit www.NeverTooLate.biz Check out the book MANifesting Mr. Right: It's Never Too Late to Find the Love You Want by Dating Coach and expert Ronnie Ann Ryan at ManifestingMrRight And for a Delightful Dose of Dating Advice, read her blog