You can always play around with flames, use them to light up your cigarette or even create a peaceful environment. However, when you start to abuse the things that cause it to light up, it can go from good to worse. People can get hurt, burned and the worse: die. Your once called a lovely home can turn into ashes before your eyes. All the time, money, effort can go down the drain simply if a small flame is not used properly.
Putting out fire when it is at its worst form can be very dangerous. The lives of the victims are already at risk and more people come in to make the risk even bigger. That is why it is important for people to know about fire fighting before facing fire. However, you do not to be a professional to fight fire. You can actually do as a preventive measure to stop a small case of smoldering or flaming fire. Here is how:
1. Turn off sources of electricity and gas.
2. Remove anything that could easily burn or even catch fire.
3. Get your fire extinguisher and use it to smother the fire at its base. Just make sure that you have the right extinguisher on hand. Note: It is better that you use a multi-rated extinguisher at home.
4. If fire is slowly spreading, take time to wear fire protection equipment like gloves or boots.
5. If you catch fire, do not panic or run around, stop drop and roll. You instruct the same thing if it happened to another person. If it cannot be controlled, grab a fabric and wrap it around the person with a little pressure.
6. If the griller starts to ignite flames and unfortunately, dried leaves and other plants catches it, run to get the nearest hose and hose down the burning object to avoid spreading. Turn off the griller and cover it.
Our job is to control the fire to avoid it from spreading. However, you have to evaluate the situation if you still can handle it. If not, it is time to call the fire department, as it gets worst. It is already their job to put out uncontrollable fire. If they ask for your help, do help but also evaluate your capabilities if things ask of you is something that you know. Always gear up before heading to battle and use fire protection equipment.
In addition, if fire is silently going on inside the house, ask someone to inform the neighbors. Some of them might be able to help. If smoke and fumes start to build up inside, get out if you do not want to die of asphyxiation. Always remember not to panic in this situation. You will not be able to do things rightly.
Fire fighting is about securing safety. Do no do it unless you know exactly what you are doing. In case of outrageous fires, leave it the fire fighters, as they are better equipped in doing this job.
Having specialized in fire fighting for over 20 years, Brian now works tirelessly to promote affordable fire safety for home and for business.