I hope you will enjoy the following list with geographical facts about our world:
- Canada is home to 10% of the world’s forests and holds 20% of the world’s freshwater.
- The North American Great Lakes have a total area of 244,106 sq km / 94,250 sq mi and represent 21% of the world’s surface fresh water.
- Lake Victoria is Africa’s largest lake by area (68,800 sq km / 26,600 sq mi).
- Vatican City is the world’s smallest country (0.44 sq km / 0.17 sq mi) and the world’s least populated country (about 800 people).
- Tristan da Cunha is the remotest inhabited island in the world. This island has a population of 264 people and it is located in the South Atlantic Ocean, at a distance of 2,816 km (1,750 mi) from South Africa and 3,360 km (2,088 mi) from South America.
- The Chilean city of Puerto Williams is the southernmost city of the world.
- The Irish name of the Ireland capital of Dublin is Baile Atha Cliath.
- The Swiss city of Zurich was known in the past as Turigus, Turegus, and Turicum.
- The Qinghai–Tibet railway is the world’s highest railway. The highest point of this railway is reached at the Tanggula Pass (5,072 m or 16,640 ft above sea level).
- The Rub’al – Khali area in Saudi Arabia is the world’s largest sand desert (647,500 sq km or 250,001 sq mi).
- You can find cities named Montpellier on four continents (Australia, North America, Europe and Africa). The most famous is the Southern French city of Montpellier which has been the fastest growing city in France over the past 25 years and the capital of the US state of Vermont (Montpelier).
- Route 66 was a famous US highway that connected Chicago with Los Angeles and had a length of 3,940 km (2,448 mi).
- Route 61 is an US highway that connects New Orleans with Wyoming, Minnesota and has a length of 2,300 km (1,400 mi).
- The Grand Trunk Road has a total length of 2,500 km (1,600 mi) and it links the eastern and western parts of the Indian Subcontinent, from Bangladesh to Kabul in Afghanistan.
- The Copper Canyon in the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua is larger than the Grand Canyon located in the US State of Arizona.
- The Canadian Pacific Railway has over 22,500 km (14,000 mi) of railway tracks and stretches from Montreal to Vancouver.
- Kilimanjaro is one of the highest peaks in the world that can be climbed without any special climbing equipment.
- Mount Roraima - situated at the borders of Guyana, Brazil and Venezuela - has a summit area of 31 sq km (12 sq mi).
I have written this article because i have a special interest in geography and geographical facts especially. If you want to find more curious and interesting facts about the world we live in, please fell free to visit my site: www.geographicalfacts.com .