Most children, and quite a few adults too, love dinosaurs. After all, what is not to love about a gigantic extinct animal? But although you may have seen plenty of dinosaurs in movies (like for example the Jurassic Park series of movies), in TV, books, and even in children's toys, how much do you really know about dinosaurs? Here a few facts about dinosaurs that may interest you:
1. Dinosaurs were animals that lived during the Triassic (248 to 213 million years ago), Jurassic (213 to 144 million years ago), and Cretaceous (144 to 65 million years ago) periods. This era is collectively known as the Mesozoic Era, but in popular literature is sometimes called the “Age of Reptiles".
2. There were many different types ("species") of dinosaurs, such of which were herbivores (plant eaters) whereas others were carnivores (meat eaters). Of course, not all species of dinosaurs lived at the same time, just as different types of mammals and other creatures have evolved through the ages, so too did the dinosaurs.
3. During the period that dinosaurs were around, they apparently out-competed our ancestors, the mammal-like reptiles, and later the mammals. Dinosaurs and other archosaurs ("ruling reptiles") were the dominant large land animals, whereas the largest mammals were tiny mouse-like creatures.
4. Dinosaurs disappeared from the earth at the end of Cretaceous period (known as the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction). There are many theories as to what happened, but currently the leading theory is that they were wiped out as a result of an asteroid hitting the Earth.
5. Many scientists believe that birds evolved from dinosaurs, and it is also thought possible that some dinosaurs were quite bird-like in terms of their physiology, lifestyle, and behavior.
By S. Tanna. Discover more Dinosaur Facts at http://www.dinosaurjungle.com/dinosaur_facts.php