Phlebotomy is basically an activity of assisting the medical professionals in process of collecting blood samples and examining them. The process of Phlebotomy is also known as venipuncture. The training acquired for the course inculcates very short amount of time, even less than six months. Phlebotomy Diploma provides the students with an opportunity to have a successful career in Phlebotomy. The course prepares the student with eminent health service at the clinical and medical office, also acquire laboratory specimen in variety of medical settings.
The students acquiring a graduation with this program can actually practice with reference to clinical procedures essentially demanded by the physicians that also include CPR and First Aid. These students are also instructed with the process of executing medical laboratory tests and electrocardiograms. Thus students with Clinical Assistant with Phlebotomy Diploma can opt for their certification either through American Medical Technologist (AMT) as a Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) or just a certification in phlebotomy.
The Medical Assistant Diploma is yet another Diploma being offered in phlebotomy field. It prepares the students with confidence and skills that are required at physician’s office, manage the administrative responsibilities, aid in the patient care, carry out medical procedures and get hold of worthy laboratory specimens in a variety of settings.
The basic responsibility and training in the field of phlebotomy includes
- Accumulate, transfer, manage and process blood specimens for analysis.
- Distinguish amongst the significance of the specimen collection and proceed with the overall patient care system.
- Associate the anatomy and physiology of the body system and anatomic terminology to the wide range of aspects in the clinical laboratory and general pathologic conditions connected with body systems.
- Recognize and choose the apparatus, supplies and addictives utilized in blood collection.
- Identify the issues that influence the specimen collection process and test results, in order to take suitable measures within the encoded limits wherever relevant.
- Identify and stick on to infection control and safety policies and procedures.
- Examine the quality control within the encoded limits.
- Identify diverse components of health care delivery system
- Identify the everyday jobs of the laboratory and health care personnel; communicate in order to comprehend their work and patient care.
- Exhibit professional conduct, stress management, interpersonal and communication skills with patients, peers and other health care personnel and with the public.
- Display the understanding of demands and the legal allusion of the work environment.
- Apply basic principles in learning new techniques and procedures
- Identify and act according to the personal needs for the continuing education that results in the professional competence with reference to growth and maintenance.
- The Phlebotomist after acquiring the degree can exhibit fresher capabilities in the mentioned areas of professional practice.
Phlebotomist performs functions like blood drawing, specimen processing, lab procedures and clerical duties. Career opportunities after Phlebotomy Diploma include Blood Transfusion Specialist, Blood Donation Collector, Blood Bank Manager, Clinical Phlebotomist, Emergency Room Phlebotomist and Phlebotomy Trainer.