More than 41,500 aspiring nurses were turned away from nursing school last year. If don't want to be put on a waiting list, or worse yet, turned down next year, you may want to consider the benefits of attending an online nursing schools.
A Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree is the key to rapid advancement in the nursing profession. Most aspiring students do not think about applying to an online program which is located out of state or across the country. Yet some of the best, fully accredited nursing schools now offer their program online to out of state students.
While online college degrees are relatively unknown, they are, by no means a fad. Savvy students can take advantage of these newly formed opportunities and earn their education online.
Five Benefits of a Online Nursing Schools
Students will be pleasantly surprised to learn about the many benefits of attending an online program. Some of the high level benefits include:
1. No waiting lists However this may change soon
2. Attend classes anytime and anywhere an Internet connection is available
3. Save driving time, parking time, and walking to and from class time
4. Save money because online schools can be as much as 50% less expensive than campus programs
5. Earn a degree quickly, in as few as 30 credit hours
Three Tips for Choosing an Online Program
When looking into any school, it is important to understand the kind of degree you will earn. Picking the wrong school can be detrimental to your career. Use the following criteria when finding an online school to attend:
1. Attend a FULLY accredited nursing school program. Regional accreditation is the highest form of accreditation that a schools can receive. There are only six regional accrediting bodies for colleges and universities in the United States:
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
2. If you are looking for the best online nursing school to attend, find one with a supplemental accreditation such as one from the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
3. Look for a non-profit school. Usually state colleges or state universities offer the best nursing school education. These schools are often associated with hospitals, so the nurse educators are some of the best in their field. Even if you are an out-of-state student, attending school online will likely be less expensive than attending campus-based program.
Attending a fully accredited college has many advantages over attending a lesser accredited college or university. Do not take a chance when it comes to your career. Follow these two guidelines to make sure you get the best education for your career:
1. Attending a fully accredited university ensures that the classes you take and the degree you earn will be accepted throughout the United States should you wish to earn another degree. In a regulated profession like nursing earning an accredited degree will ensure compliance with any employer.
2. If you want help to pay for school attend a regionally accredited college or university. Accredited schools can offer a full package of federally funded financial aid including loans, grants, work-study, and scholarships. Unaccredited schools can only offer a very limited number of options when it comes to financial aid.
Attending an online school may not have been your first thought when you considered being a nurse, but you can earn an accredited and sometime prestigious degree when you graduation from an online program.
Find a list of the top 10 online RN to BSN nursing programs , find a list of all nursing schools and all nursing jobs , visit My-Nursing-Career, a site powered by and for nurses