Distance learning has its own set of benefits and challenges. Two of the main benefits of distance learning is being able to set your own study schedule and save money by doing your work at home. Some of the drawbacks of distance learning is that you most likely will never meet any of your teachers, you'll have no classmates, and there is no one but you to keep you on track. In order to make distance learning a real success though, here are the top five tips that you need to practice.
1. The very first thing to do is to set realistic goals for yourself. One real advantage of distance learning is being able to set your own pace rather than having to stick to a prescribed class schedule. So take advantage of that by looking through your course materials when you receive them, and break them down into smaller manageable chunks that you feel comfortable with. And then stick to the goals you have set for completing the course until it's done.
2. Because distance learning allows such freedom in setting your own study schedule, it's also easy to abuse this freedom and not have a set schedule for regular study at all. But keeping a regular study schedule will be absolutely key to your success in distance learning. Decide what time of day is best for you to study. Whenever it is, block out all other activities and don't allow anything to encroach on your study time. Remember not to overload your study schedule either, as this can be counterproductive as well.
3. To keep yourself well motivated and focused on attaining your goals, it's always a good idea to let other people know what you're doing. Let them know about the courses you're taking and what your long term goals are. The advantage of this is that it will help you be more likely to stick to your study goals if others are aware of what you're doing. You might even ask someone you trust to check up on you from time to time and make sure that you are following your study schedule.
4. Just because you are learning at a distance doesn't have to mean that you are all alone. Even distance learners can join a study group by searching on the Internet for bulletin boards or chat rooms that are related to your study topic. If you find enough online students that are studying the same kind of material, you can even form your own online conference group.
5. If you want to really get the most out of any subject that you study, try to do your best to put what you are learning into action. For instance, if you are studying a foreign language seek out people who speak it to help you sharpen your skill in that language.
As you reach your interim goals along your long term path to success, be sure to reward yourself for a job well done. This will help you take pride in your accomplishments along the way. And don't ever forget to always ask questions if there's anything that you don't understand.
Steadman Issenburg writes on many consumer related topics including education. You can find online universities and colleges and distance learning colleges and universities and more by visiting our education website.