US Open Tennis Tournament Introduction:
US Open Tennis Championship is one among the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments.
The US Open Grand Slam:
* The US Open Tennis Tournament is the final event of the Grand Slam of the year.
* US Open take place during the month of August and September every year.
* US Open Tennis undergoes for two weeks.
* The US Open is played at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City.
* The presence of final set tie-breaks is unique aspect of US Open Tennis.
* Richest tennis tournament in the world is US Open Grand Slam.
Championships Played in US Open Tennis:
* Men’s Singles Championships
* Women’s Singles Championships
* Men’s Doubles Championships
* Women’s Double’s Championships
* Mixed Doubles Championships
* Senior Players Championships
* Junior Players Championships
* Wheelchair Players Championships
History of US Open Tennis Tournaments :
General Facts about US Open Tennis Championships:
* The US Open Tennis was first held in August 1881.
* The US Open was formerly an event meant exclusively for the elite.
* The total prize money was placed at US Open Tennis is $17 million.
* About 600 professional players competed for the title and the prize money.
* The first ever venue for US Open Tennis was the Newport Casino in Rhode Island.
* In the beginning, US Open consisted of two separate tournaments for men and women.
* Originally, the event was known as the U. S. National Singles Championships.
* The event was accessible only to associations that were a part of the United States National Lawn Tennis Association.
* The years 1884-1911 saw the trend of challenge system which allowed a defending champion to automatically qualify for the next year’s finals.
* Two best teams were selected from the east and west regions which competed against each other in the play-offs.
Venues where US Open Tennis Tournament Played:
The tennis championships were hosted at various venues over the years.
* 1881 - 1915 - The Newport Casino, Newport, New York City
* 1916 - 1920 - West Side Tennis Club , Forest Hills, New York
* 1921 - 1923 - Germantown Cricket Club in Philadelphia
* 1924 - 1978 - West Side Tennis Club , Forest Hills, New York
* 1978 - present - USTA National Tennis Center, Flushing Meadows, Corona Park.
Landmarks of US Open Tennis:
* For the first six years, the National Championships consisted of only men’s national championships.
* In the subsequent years, many other championships were introduced.
The following years mark events that were significant to the development of US Open Tennis:
* 1887: The first U. S. Women's National Singles Championship was held officially at the Philadelphia Cricket Club.
* 1889: U. S. Women's National Doubles Championships were held for the first time along with US Mixed Doubles.
* 1900: the U. S. National Men's Doubles Championships were introduced
The beginning of US Open Tennis Tournament:
* US Tennis Open officially came into existence in 1968 after the culmination of five different championships into a single event.
* Entry into the tournament was no longer restricted to the elite and all professionals could participate.
* 98 men and 63 women took part in the first US Open Tournament.
* The first US Open was held at the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills, Queens.
* The prize money was stepped upto $100,000.
* The concept of final set tie-breaks was introduced in 1970.
* Instant replay was applied to the US Open Tournament in 2006.
Surfaces on Which US Open Tennis Championship is Played:
* Till 1975, the US Open Tennis matches were played on grass.
* From 1975-1978, US Open Tennis matches were played on Har-Tru clay courts.
* Now US Open Tennis matches are played on DecoTurf.
For More Information on US Open Tennis Grand Slam Go through “Altius Directory ( http://www.altiusdirectory.com)"