These days selling a home is not easy. Unfortunately, long gone are the days when you could stick a “for sale" sign in your yard in the morning and have the house sold by that afternoon. In fact, in today's real estate market it can be quite difficult to sell a house at all.
However, there are things you can do if you really want to sell a house. Sprucing up your home is one thing that cannot be overlooked. Sprucing up your home consists of focusing on both the inside AND the outside of your home. This article, however, will focus solely on the outside of your home.
The outside of the home will always be the buyer's first impression. As the old saying goes, “You only get one chance to make a good first impression. " If the outside of your home looks shabby, then potential buyers won't even bother with the inside.
Here are 10 tips for sprucing up your home:
1. Tidy up the yard ~ Many of the things that don't bother you (or that you have gotten used to) may actually be an eyesore to potential home buyers. Take a walk around the house and make sure to put away any kids’ toys, yard tools, bicycles, skateboards etc.
2. Trim the bushes ~ If all of your bushes and shrubs are overgrown, potential homebuyers may think you don't keep up with the maintenance of any other part of your house as well. Keeping the shrubs neat and well-shaped gives the overall impression that the entire property is well cared for.
3. Plant some flowers ~ Flowers, especially bright flowers, can liven up the outside of your home very easily and with very little expense.
4. Mow the lawn ~ You would think this goes without saying, but so many people simply let their lawns go. This is a huge turn off to any potential buyer. During the spring, summer, and fall your lawn should be mowed once a week.
5. Keep porches and railings safe and in good shape ~ Make sure railings are not loose and slap on a fresh coat of paint or stain to spruce them up.
6. Maintain the shutters ~ Many people neglect to maintain their shutters. Shutters can be a charming, warm touch to any home, but only if they are maintained. Again, a fresh coat of paint will go a long way.
7. Touch up painting ~ Speaking of paint. . . make sure all the trim on the outside is touched up as well.
8. Keep house numbers in good shape ~ Believe it or not the house numbers are probably the first thing any potential buyer sees as they will actually be looking for them when trying to find your house. If they are rusty or the wood is rotten it will make a bad first impression.
9. Keep the front entrance clean ~ The front entrance is the focal point of many homes. Make sure it is clean. A quick power-wash will do wonders.
10. Exterior cleaning ~While you're power washing the front entrance you may want to power wash the rest of the house as well. Also make sure the windows are clean as well as the gutters.
Remember, selling a house these days is not easy. By sprucing up the outside of your home, though, you will make a good first impression that will have an impact on how potential buyers view and perceive the rest of your house.
If you're looking to sell a home in the Bradenton/Sarasota area and want to get listed in the Mid-Florida Regional MLS for a one-time flat fee that blows away the competition, then make sure to conatct Tanya Waxler from uKeepCommission Real Estate @ http://www.uKeepCommission.com or call 941-465-9207.