As part of events held across the globe on February 2 nd to commemorate World Wetlands Day, the Intercultural Center of Desert and Ocean Studies (CEDO), Launched the XV Environmental Contest CEDO 2009, inviting the participation of students from all levels, teachers, as well as members of others organizations and special clubs.
The yearly environmental contests involve youth from Puerto Penasco through participation in order to strengthen their knowledge about a particular environment theme relevant to the local community; Projects include scientific field research, looking for solutions to principal problems detected and promoting what they have learned with the rest of the community. Some of the themes covered by past environmental contests have included water shortages, organic waste wetlands, and rocky reefs.
On this occasion, the 2009 CEDO Environmental Contest, entitled “Flying until the end”, is dedicated to the conservation of migratory birds as a symbol of the connectivity represented among different wetlands across the globe.
Many of the birds we can see in our region in reality are visitors that travel thousands of miles each year. From their breeding grounds in the coldest areas in the north, the birds migrate in order to spend winters in the warmer areas of the south where there is a abundance of food and sufficient hours of daily light, Some others birds, including the least tern (sternula antillarum) migrate from South America during the spring, in order to breed and nest in the estuaries in the region during the summer, The wetlands represent an important point for migratory birds, as they allow them to prepare to continue along their routes. The wetlands provide birds with water, a place to rest, feed, nest and raise their young, as well a protected site away from predators and inclement weather.
The objectives of the 2009 CEDO Environmental Contest “Flying until the end” Include:
• Carrying out field research so that students learn about the principal migratory birds that come to this region.
• Raising awareness within the community of the importance of the estuaries surrounding Puerto Penasco for migratory birds.
• Acts of conservation to reduce some of the treats that are affecting migratory birds.
The Environment Contest will run from March 3 rd 2009 to April 24 th. The judging committee will include members from the community as well as specialists in the field who will evaluate the activities of each team and select winners. Teams will be divided into two categories:
1) pre school and elementary and
2) Jr. Highs – High Schools and Higher Education. The categories may change upon the decision of the organizers, depending on the numbers of teams registered in each category. Each institution may participate with one or more teams. Teams will be evaluating in dependently and the top 3 teams in each category will receive awards.
Author: Steve Schwab
RealtyExecutivesMex.com is a complete guide to Mexico Real Estate . Contact Mexico Realty Executives for Mexico Property or for setting up your own Mexico Real Estate Franchise . If you've been perusing homes for sale in Mexico, please, let Realty Executives Mexico be your guiding light. We can find your dream home for you!