Everyone dreams to own a house full of all the facilities, comfort and luxury, but in today’s world of inflation it is not easy to own one. Most of the people prefer apartments for rent so that they can get a desirable place without spending huge sum at once.
Finding apartment for rent is not an easy task. You need to be well prepared so that there is no space for regret left once the deal is closed.
Here are some tips on how to make it easier:
- Enough money: you should have enough money saved as it can take time to find the right apartment
- First, decide your budget, search will start with short-listing the apartments that comes within your price range.
- Make a list of what exactly you want like location, size number of bedrooms, nearby schools, transport facility etc. also think about how much you can afford to pay as rent and for how long you want the place.
- Choose the location: The one, which is in proximity to family, work, or leisure activities, is considered an ideal location. Although it actually depends on one’s desires and preferences. Decide between commercial and residential area.
- Renters must also look for features they opt to have in apartment complex like access to a pool, exercise room and equipments, home theater facility or meeting place.
- Go online: you can search for all the information on the internet about available flats in your desired area. Once you are finished with the list search the net.
For example, you can search for “Toronto rental apartments- tips for finding apartments for rent”. Today the trend is that you will find most rental ads online. Benefit of going online is that you can instantly see photographs of the property as well as information about community.
In addition, it is very cheap. Save your searches and request weekly or daily emails for your specified search.
- Short listing: narrow down the choices to those that suits your requirements the best.
- Reference from previous landlord: presenting a typed reference letter on paper give you an edge over others.
- Questions: prepare a list of questions, you want to ask, well in advance so that there are no chances of missing something important you wanted to know to make your decision.
- Now visit the apartment complex to get a sense of type of community and upkeep.
With that, you can also look at the nearby apartments and how much they are going for? Call the landlord or renting agent for this. It will give you a baseline as to whether it is a good deal for your place or not?
- Inspection of the apartment:
- See the actual place and not a model. Ask the landlord if he will fix the items that need to be repaired or replaced before you move in.
- Safety features like smoke detectors and fire extinguishers should be well placed in the house.
- Inspect toilets, pipes and under kitchen cabinets for potential leaks in plumbing. Watermark shows past water/leak damage.
- Hot water system is very expensive and problematic to replace, specially in winters, so check them properly.
- Look for any evidence of insects or rodents.
- If the windows do not provide sufficient seals it can add a lot to your heating and cooling cost.
- Don not rush. Take your time and be thorough.
- Follow up: it is very important to take feedback via email or phone after 2-3 days of your interview; most people miss this step and loose their desired home.
Dave, award-winning Realtor helps you to find rental properties, condos, townhouses and apartments for rent in Toronto . Having acquired expertise in sales, marketing, negotiating, & strategic planning through 15 years in management & consulting. Dave provides best rental properties and tenant services to clients.