For the last decade, Playa del Carmen, located on the Caribbean coast of Mexico's famous Yucatan peninsula, just south of Cancun, has been a growing favorite for Americans, Canadians and Europeans relocating to the beachfront. Why has Playa del Carmen real estate become such a popular choice? Here a few reasons.
1. It's Romantic. Playa del Carmen and the surrounding Riviera Maya has been named among the world's top 10 romantic locations. A beautiful beachfront, secluded places to enjoy an evening walk alone on these beaches, high-class cafes and restaurants either overlooking the beach, or on the famous Fifth Avenue with its unique atmosphere all help to make this an ideal place for a couple – whether a young new couple, or retirees celebrating 50 years together.
2. It's Convenient. As the town grew into a small city with a thriving tourist industry, many services have appeared, including international stores such as Walmart and Sam's, large screen movie theaters, malls, world-class golf courses and high-quality healthcare facilities. Less than an hour away is the Cancun international airport, with more cheap flights becoming available to a large variety of locations in the U. S. and Canada every year. Also less than an hour away, but in the opposite direction, the Riviera Maya international airport is being planned in Tulum.
3. The cost of living is low. True that it costs more to live here than 25 years ago when the town was a bit more than a fishing village and a few shops at the ferry dock to Cozumel; but also unlike those days, you now enjoy easy access to international-quality services and good. And they still cost noticeably less than back home. Healthcare will cost anywhere from 50% to 70% less, and you will notice saving in just about everything from the electric or high-speed internet bill to shopping day and furniture.
4. It has investment value. Property values in Playa del Carmen have shown an ongoing and steady level of healthy appreciation, sometimes as high as 20-25% per year, and on average 10-15%. There was no housing bubble here, and prices only saw a moderate slow down during the recession through temporary price reductions which have mostly disappeared. In contrast, the U. S. market is very low, but is expected to stay that way for long time. Many Playa del Carmen homes and condos also provide the opportunity for rental income.
5. There are excellent properties at a great price. Weather you are looking for high-end luxury, or an affordable way to enjoy life on the beach, Playa del Carmen real estate provides options which compare very favorably in terms of price to similar properties in the U. S. or Europe. For a million dollars, you can have a penthouse directly overlooking the beach, with a view of Cozumel. On the other end of the spectrum, you can find a well-designed and quality construction condo for as little as $79,000 USD. While they're not on the beachfront, Playa del Carmen is still small, and few properties are more than 10 minutes away. If you don't have your own car, the taxi would cost you only about $2.
If all of this sounds like a lifestyle you could enjoy, contact an agent today to start searching for the property right for you.