Moving can be one of the most stressful events in our lives. By getting organized and planning ahead, you can prepare your family for a smooth move. A successful move starts with planning and organizing. Following is a checklist of items to consider two weeks before moving.
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Arrange for help with your children and pets on your moving day.
- Confirm any travel reservations.
- Reserve an elevator if moving from an apartment.
- Have your appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs and clothing and have them wrapped for moving.
- Plan ahead for special needs of infants.
- Close bank accounts and have your funds wired to your new bank. Make sure there are no outstanding checks or automatic payments that haven’t been processed yet.
- Make copies of any important documents before mailing or hand carry them to your new address.
- Check with your insurance agent to ensure you'll be covered through your homeowner's or renter's policy during the move.
- Defrost the freezer and refrigerator. Place deodorizer inside to control odors.
- Give a close friend or relative your travel route and schedule so you may be reached if needed.
- Arrange for disposal of anything not sold at your moving sale.
- Take your car in for servicing in preparation for the move. Let the service technician know if you are moving to a different climate so your car will be properly prepared.
- Return any borrowed items, such as library books.
- Notify creditors of your move.
- Cancel any newspaper deliveries.
- Make sure you have an adequate supply of medications on hand and transfer prescriptions.
- Mail change-of-address cards to family and friends.
- Pick up dry cleaning, anything you may have loaned to friends, empty safe deposit boxes, etc.
- File your change of address form at the post office.
- Pack a travel bag with critical items, such as your checkbook, credit cards, phone numbers and contact information, toiletries, travel alarm clock, medications, first aid supplies, games and toys for the kids, etc.
One Day Before Moving
- Take pets to your veterinarian for immunizations, if necessary.
- Find new homes for plants that will not be moved.
- Have the movers pack your belongings (unless you’ve handled your own packing).
- Make sure you have cash or travelers checks for the trip.
- Call the moving company to confirm their arrival time.
- If moving yourself, dismantle beds and other large furniture.
Use this moving checklist as a guideline for tasks to complete two weeks before moving.
Hilary Basile is a writer for MyGuidesUSA.com. At MyGuidesUSA.com (http://www.myguidesusa.com ), you will find valuable tips and resources for handling life’s major events. Whether you’re planning a wedding, buying your first home, anxiously awaiting the birth of a child, contending with a divorce, searching for a new job, or planning for your retirement, you’ll find answers to your questions at MyGuidesUSA.com. Find moving and relocation tips and resources at http://www.myguidesusa.com/movingandrelocation