If you have decided on a turtle for a pet, then you are going to love it!
A Pet Turtle has, in my opinion, a personality, and are fun, compared to a fish tank. They see you when you come to feed them or to talk to them.
For a tiny commitment of time each day, you can really enjoy your turtle as a pet, with a few simple rules.
First of all, you need to identify your pet turtle and what type it is, and where it is from, and purchase it from a reputable dealer or pet shop.
But here are a few tips to get you started.
1. Turtles are social, and if you can afford it, it is best to buy at least two, but make sure you know what their maturity size will be.
2. Do NOT use those little plastic containers the pet shop sells, you need to invest in a good 10 gallon tank, if not bigger.
3. You need to have a heater that can work in shallow water, and preferably a filtration system that is installed under the gravel. If you have a filtration system, you still should change the water every month. If you do not have a filtration system, then you need to clean the tank twice a week, and make sure to wash your hands well after handling your turtle.
4. Make sure they have an island that they can easily climb onto to bask and dry their shell. You can purchase islands for turtles in a pet store. You can use a large stone, but be careful not to damage the aquarium, a lightweight one is better.
5. Lighting is very important. You can use a UV light, which is beneficial to a turtles health, Keep them on a light and dark schedule, just like yourself, and they will be happy and perky when you are awake.
It is not too hard to take care of a pet turtle, and they can give you hours of fun. Pet Turtle care is important, but if taken care of properly, then can live to 25 years or more. They are great for apartments, and smaller spaces. Have fun with your new friend!
Did you know, that by making certain little changes each day in your turtle care, will save you time and money? Want to know more?