Many people are unaware that their beloved pets may suffer from allergies. Animals with allergies are not uncommon and the allergens can be the same as those that affect humans. Allergens can range from pollen, dust, molds, food, and smoke. If one can identify the problem, then one can care for and reduce their pet's discomfort. However, do not try to diagnose your pet by yourself, seek veterinary advice.
Some common allergic indicators to watch out for are excessive scratching of the face or other body parts, abnormal skin appearance, missing fur due to scratching or biting, redness and/or inflammation of the feet or joints. Some indications of possible food allergies are frequent and soft stools.
Just because your precious pet has allergies does not mean that you need to panic. You also do not need take a second job to help pay for your pets care. The simplest ways to care for your allergic pet is as follows:
1. Use stainless steel, ceramic, or glass food and water dishes. Make sure that they are always clean.
2. Wash the pet bedding often with gentle, hypoallergenic soap.
3. For pets with skin allergies, it is beneficial to bathe them to help reduce some of the discomfort. Look for:
4. Using a medicated mist or medicated pad can help the pet's discomfort between baths.
5. Brush your pet's coat lightly and often to ensure the production of natural oils that will aid in the recovery of your pet or minimize the discomfort. Brushing also ensures that there are no tangles or matting of the fur to cause pain and discomfort.
6. If you are fortunate enough to know what allergen is plaguing your precious pet, you can minimize their exposure to that allergen. If you do not know what the allergen is, try to minimize their exposure to the most common allergens. Not an easy task, but it can be done.
7. Use special supplements that contain Omega III fatty acids. You can even combine the supplement with an allergy pill (vet recommended) for the best helpfulness.
By providing proper nutrition and ensuring that your pet and its surroundings are exceptionally clean, you are taking steps to ensure that your pet lives a life that is as allergen-free as possible. Being allergen-free will make your pet much more comfortable and happy.
Alan Katz writes dog articles and you can find thousands of discounted dog supplies at http://www.discount-dog-supply.com