Housebreaking or house training is probably the single most important thing you will ever teach your puppy. Usually the earlier you can start housebreaking the puppy the better, as it is important to establish a routine early on.
Here are some housebreaking tips for puppies:
- Always expect there to be accidents during house breaking. Never punish your puppy for these accidents as this will only cause the puppy to be nervous about going to the toilet around you, it won't teach it to go to the toilet outside.
- Establish a routine early on. Take your dog outside at set times during the day. This means that the dog will know it will go outside soon so it can hold it in.
- When you start housebreaking always keep a close eye on the puppy. When it starts to go to the toilet, immediately take it outside.
- When you can't watch the puppy always put it in its crate. Dogs hate going to the toilet in their own beds so as long as you don't leave the puppy for too long it shouldn't go inside the crate. This is one of the most important tips.
- Make sure your entire family knows how you are trying to housebreak the puppy. If everyone does the same thing, then housebreaking will become much easier. If everyone tries different methods then the puppy will become confused.
Remember that while using these housebreaking tips for puppies always have patience. Not all dogs learn at the same speed, but if you persevere then before long your puppy will be house trained.
Are you having problems with your dog training? An overlooked but extremely important part of dog training is knowing what your dog is feeling. To receive a free guide to dog body language, please click here