Already on ArticleSlash?

Forgot your password? Sign Up

Special Report - Raisin Toxicity in Dogs

 


Visitors: 154

We all know that chocolate can be toxic to dogs. . . but what about raisins? Many dog owners don't suspect raisins and grapes as being harmful, but they can cause havoc on your dog's kidneys which can be fatal. Read on to learn how to protect your dog.

As the owner and editor of dog-health-info.net, I spend hundreds of hours studying canine issues. So when my German Shepard and Miniature Schnauzer indulged in a bag of trail mix, my first reaction was to call the vet. Initially, I was worried about the chocolate, but I soon found out the raisins my dog consumed may be lethal.

Because of her size, my German Shepard was alright. . . but we faced losing my Miniature Schnauzer. After two days in the dog hospital and a huge vet bill, I'm happy to report our little raisin eater is very healthy. But I want all dog owners to know about the risks of feeding your dogs common foods from your panty. . . like raisins and grapes.

What are the signs of raisin toxicity?

  • Vomiting within the first two hours of consumption

  • Diarrhea

  • Lethargy

  • Acute renal failure can occur within 24 hours - 7 days

    What should I do if my dog eats raisins or grapes (or anything I'm not sure about)?

    Do you know the phone number to your local dog emergency hospital? If you don't, look up the number and program it into your phone. It should be the equivalent of 911 to your dog. If your vet is open, call them immediately. If it's after hours, call the vet hospital.

    What is the treatment for raisin toxicity?

    Your vet should induce vomiting immediately. The sooner this is done, the better the outlook (within the first two hours). Your vet may administer one or more treatments of charcoal. Fluids may be administered for 48 hours or more and blood work is monitored. Your vet may consult the ASPCA (Animal Poison Control Center) for treatment recommendations (888-426-4425).

    The best way to protect your dog from raisin toxicity and other similar issues is to keep human food out of reach. Although it may be tempting to feed your dog a little bite (especially when he looks so cute), it could have serious consequences.

    For more information, visit http://www.dog-health-info.net

  • (418)

    Article Source:


     
    Rate this Article: 
     
    Obesity and Toxicity
    Rated 4 / 5
    based on 5 votes
    ArticleSlash

    Related Articles:

    Internet Business Special Report

    by: Mangalam Ramanarayanan (March 03, 2007) 
    (Home Based Business)

    Special Report on Internet Companies

    by: Henry Wilkins (July 09, 2008) 
    (Investing/Stocks)

    What's The Difference Between An E-book And A Special Report?

    by: Allen Taylor (February 15, 2007) 
    (Internet and Businesses Online)

    Special Report - The Secrets Behind Magnetic Advertising

    by: Mike Dillard (July 17, 2007) 
    (Business/Advertising)

    Special Report How to Tell If a Guy Likes You 4 Amazing Ways to Find Out Right ..

    by: Christie Love (July 14, 2008) 
    (Relationships/Dating)

    "Add Audio For Website" Tool - Read This Special Report!

    by: Tom Sheinberg (January 15, 2009) 
    (Internet and Businesses Online/Audio Streaming)

    Article Marketing Leverage - Articles to Special Report, How to Do it Quickly ..

    by: Hendry Lee (June 04, 2008) 
    (Writing and Speaking/Article Marketing)

    Special Report - How To Stop Paying Rent and FINALLY Afford Your Own Home ..

    by: Darren Meade (June 15, 2007) 
    (Real Estate/Buying)

    Special Report Reveals How to Avoid The Five Fatal Marketing Mistakes Made By ..

    by: Alun Richards (April 09, 2008) 
    (Self Improvement/Coaching)

    Obesity and Toxicity

    by: Mark Schauss (January 24, 2007) 
    (Health and Fitness)