As part of President-Elect Obama's Inauguration, the Martin Luther King holiday was transformed into a day of national community service where a huge number of US citizens responded to Obama's call to service. The aim of “Renew America Today" is to let as many Americans participate and come together out of their hectic lives to give service to communities. The Inauguration Day of Obama event was marked by the people of America coming together for a common purpose.
President-Elect Obama and Vice President-Elect Biden together with their families spent Martin Luther King, Jr. Day serving the community in Washington, DC. Together with thousands of other volunteers across the country, works that needed attention in the neighborhood were done in honor of Martin King's legacy. He said, “Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday [is] a day to be remembered and celebrated not as a day off, but as a day on. . . " Since Obama's service initiative was announced, tens of thousands of Americans answered to the call and nearly 13,000 service events took place. The community services included, but were not limited to volunteering in food pantries, donating blood, repainting schools, and many more.
To highlight the Monday events, these activities and programs were hosted:
1. "Brunch and Books" was hosted by the National Congress of Black Women
2. Land of Lincoln Inaugural Ball was hosted by the Illinois State Society
3. The Indiana Society Inaugural Gala was hosted by Indiana
4. The Colorado Inaugural Ball was hosted by the Colorado Democratic Party at Westin Washington
5. Bluegrass Ball was hosted by the Kentucky State Society
6. An event featuring music and comics was hosted by the Arab American Institute at the Fairmont Hotel
7. The Pearl Presidential Inaugural Gala was hosted by the Asian Americans at the Mandarin Oriental
8. The Land of Enchantment Ball was hosted by New Mexico in the Smithsonian's Museum
9. “A Dream and a Change" ball was hosted by the Baby-boomer Professionals at the Sheraton Crystal City Hotel
10. A Gala of Olives was hosted by the Hip-Hop Caucus These are only ten of the events that were hosted during the Inauguration Obama Monday schedule, January 19, 2009.
Now do you know of Obama's Government Grants for financial aid, business, scholarship, loan, pay bills, debts & many more?
Millions of Americans will take action and apply for government grants. As a result, they benefit from receiving these funds, and you can too. All you need to do is ask for your share. Avail of the Government Grant Kit by Clicking Here Now !