We are now hearing more and more about the issue of climate change, carbon offsetting and the effects of global warming in a variety of media.
All this talk of ‘carbon footprints’ and how we can reduce them to help the planet can be rather confusing for some.
However, by following a few easy steps in your household, you could potentially save on your gas and electricity bills, as well as help to reduce your carbon footprint and help the environment:
- Consider switching part of your energy consumption to include some form of renewable energy (such as wind and hydroelectric) There are now a wide range of companies that offer affordable gas and electricity prices through using renewable energy sources.
- Take care to turn off any devices when you're not using them - such as TVs, DVD players and computers. Also look at replacing your light bulbs with energy saving light bulbs in order to save on your electric and gas bills.
- By turning down your heating systems by just a couple of degrees, you can keep warm whilst helping to reduce your gas and electric bills.
- Around 35% of heat generated in the house is lost through the walls, consider having cavity wall insulation installed in your property, such an investment could help reduce your heating bills by up to £200 a year.
- Check your loft insulation and consider replacing it if need be, installing 180mm thick insulation could help reduce heat loss through your roof by about 25%
- Check the timer on your central heating systems and try to configure the times to your routine in the morning and evening in order to reduce your heating bill.
- Try to do your weekly shopping in a single trip, which could help save on petrol while helping to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Fill your dishwasher or washing machine with a full load - which could help save water, electricity and washing powder.
- If you have a fridge or freezer that's over 15 years old, be sure to replace it with one that has an ‘A’ rating for energy efficiency. Also contact your gas company and get them to check your boiler in case it needs replacing with a new energy efficient model.
There are now a wide range of alternative energy products that you can get installed at your property, such as solar water heating systems and small wind turbines you can mount on your roof, in order to utilize renewable energy sources and help save on your gas and electricity prices.
Compare gas prices from a wide range of providers to find deals on both gas and electric.