If you or your friend or any of the family member has suffered a severe injury by a slip or a fall or by tripping on something in another person’s property depending on the consequences in which you had the fall, there are chances that you can ask for a financial claim towards the personal injury.
When you fall in another person’s property there are chances that you can hold them responsible for your injuries as long as you prove that the property owner was negligent and therefore liable for the damages you suffered.
Slip and fall accidents are the most regular kind of personal injury lawsuits.
Locations that are Liable to Minimize Slip and Fall Related Injuries
The following premises are liable to ensure necessary safety measures are taken to avoid physical accidents or personal injuries:
• Commercial Properties such as shopping malls and cinema theaters
• Open to all properties such as parks or government buildings
• Private residences
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
• Broken stairs
• Damaged sidewalks, walkways and parking lots
• Snow or ice which is not properly cleaned
• Insufficient lighting
• Faulty escalators or elevators
• Water left on cleaning the floors for which there are inadequate warnings
• A rug or cord that may create walkway obstacles
• Missing or damaged stairway handrails
• Liquid from a leak or spill that causes wet or slippery floors having no warning signs
How to Claim a Personal Injury in a Slip and Fall Accident
• Take pictures of the location of the slip and fall as quick as possible
• Try and get the names and contact information for any witnesses to the accident
• Report the accident to the owner or occupier
of the property
• Photograph the footwear you were wearing at the time of the accident and preserve the evidence
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident you will require the help of a qualified lawyer to help protect your rights under the law. In Vancouver, a personal injury lawyer from a renowned law firm can help you recuperate compensation for your damages.
Reviewing the case
Property owners, including home owners, businesses and landlords, have an obligation to people who come onto their property to protect them from defects or imperfection that may cause a slip and fall injury. They have a duty to provide sound care to see the property is safe for use. If the injury pertains owner may be liable for a defect on the property.
An experienced personal injury lawyer can investigate the circumstances of your fall and verify if you may be entitled to compensation.
Entitlement for Compensation for a Slip and Fall Injury
When you are injured in a slip and fall accident, you are allowed to compensate for:
• Past, current, and future medical bills associated with the slip-and-fall injury
• Lost salary if you are unable to work while recovering from the injury
• Pain and suffering
• Property that was damaged due to broken glasses during the accident
The court will look at the relative liability of each party and calculation of the percentage of liability for the damages is settled.
Time is vital after a slip and fall mishap. If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident, document as much information and evidences as soon as you can. Also, avoid making statements to the property owner or the owner’s insurance company.
Premises liability lawsuits involve an injury which is persistent on another person’s property because of faulty or defective condition that exists. Ask for a consultation with an ICBC lawyer to verify if you may have a case.
Our legal advisors in Vancouver are always willing to help you on any type of legal case/s. Find more information on our Vancouver Personal Injury Lawyer services.