A San Juan Capistrano Personal Injury Attorney's Advice:
If you have suffered a personal (physical or emotional) injury because of someone else's negligence, then you have the right to file a claim against that individual. A personal injury claim allows those who have suffered damages to recoup the cost of those damages deemed appropriate by evidence and a court of law. Following are some of the more common mistakes people make when settling a personal injury claim:
1. Talking to the other party or their insurance company. Anything you say to an insurance company or the other party after an accident can and probably will be used against you later in the settlement negotiation. Remember, these people are not your friends. They are paid to settle with you for the least amount of money they can get away with. Even someone who seems really friendly and interested in you, isn't. The only person who is looking out for you is you, unless you have an attorney representing you.
2. Not Compiling & Organizing Information. In a personal injury case the details are extremely important. They can be the deciding factor whether or not you get what you deserve or entitled to, or even get anything at all. Be sure to take pictures at the scene of the accident and of any damage to you or your property. Use your cell phone camera or carry a disposable camera in your car to take pictures of the damage to your car and the other cars in an accident. Also, collect names and contact information of any witnesses at an accident location.
3. Not Going to a Doctor. Many times directly after an accident, the adrenaline or even shock you feel can mask the pain of a personal injury. The problem is, it will be harder for you to make a claim later if there are no records of you going to the doctor, or having a diagnosis of an injury caused by the accident. Doctors or chiropractors provide an important function in addition to treating an injury. They document the injury.
4. Missing The Deadline to file. There are deadlines of how long after an accident you can to file a claim. Too often people let these deadlines slip away and then they are unable to file a claim or get any compensation for their injuries.
5. Not Hiring an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney. Negotiating a personal injury case with an insurance company should not be taken lightly. The insurance company has professionals whose job is to build a case against you, to lessen your claim value, or otherwise undermine your credibility. To properly protect yourself and get the compensation your deserve and are entitled to, you should consider hiring a lawyer who is experienced with personal injury cases and who will represent you and have your best interest at heart.
Protect yourself after any accident! Before you speak with anyone concerning your case, find out what your rights are and what compensation you may be entitled to, at http://www.kuhnbelz.com
Steven Kuhn has extensive experience in all areas of Personal Injury law. He is a lawyer and partner with Kuhn& Belz, a legal firm with Personal Injury specialists located in the San Juan Capistrano area of Orange County, in Southern California. http://www.kuhnbelz.com