Could there be any other better place than Australia if you are eagerly looking for settling down at a well known destination and beginning a new lease of life?
With a strong economy and scenic landscaping, Australia could be Paradise on Earth for you.
However, before embarking upon the necessary formalities, let us briefly evaluate the benefits of becoming a permanent resident of Australia.
1. As a permanent resident, you will be given a permanent visa. This entitles you to the right to live in Australia indefinitely. You can enjoy the facilities of unlimited travel to and from Australia once you become a permanent resident. However, initially the permanent visa is given for a period of five years and has to be applied again from either outside Australia or from within the country.
2. On procuring permanent residentship, you also enjoy unlimited freedom to pursue the course of study that you prefer. Permanent residents have various options to choose when it comes to University education. There are certain education loans that are available only to permanent residents. These loans are extremely helpful in managing your financial crisis that may arise due to the additional expenses associated with your study.
3. The next important aspect of permanent residence is the aspect of work permit. Permanent residents can work for any employer in any occupation. But, working in the Public Service or Armed forces is strictly restricted to the Australian Citizens. This, however, does not distinguish the industrial laws between the permanent residents and citizens. Permanent residents enjoy the same benefits under these laws as the citizens. They can become a part of trade unions and can claim worker's compensation.
4. As regards social security, the permanent residents must hold on for a period of two years before they are entitled to receive social security benefits like sickness, unemployment and student benefits that are offered by Australia's Social Security Department.
5. A very important benefit that the permanent residents will enjoy is the health care entitlement. As a permanent resident of Australia, you will enjoy the privilege of health insurance scheme run by the government called Medicare. Under Medicare, you could receive free treatment at a public hospital and subsidized medicine.
6. Permanent residents can also sponsor their relatives for acquisition of permanent residence. But this is possible only after the applicant meets certain residence and support assurance pre-requisites.
7. Children of permanent residents who are born in Australia are deemed Australian citizens by birth. This will be one great advantage because they will enjoy the maximum benefits in the field of education and health care.
8. Permanent residents have the right to take up some professions in Australia like that of a migration agent or any government position.
9. The permanent resident of Australia is also granted the right to travel to New Zealand and apply for a New Zealand Visa. This is a provision that has been granted by the government of New Zealand.
So go ahead and start nurturing your dream of making Australia your permanent home.
Mira writes for AustraliaLiveWorkPlay.com, as a government certified Australian Immigration agent. She covers topics such as Australian Visas, Skilled Migration, and Relocation Planning.