Already on ArticleSlash?

Forgot your password? Sign Up

Returning to the US After an Absence of One Year Or More?

Steven A. Culbreath

Visitors: 270

To reenter the U. S. an LPR normally needs to present his or her green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551). A reentry permit is needed for reentry from absences outside the U. S. that are greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

Thus, if an LPR anticipates remaining outside the U. S. for longer than one year, he/she will need to apply for a reentry permit while he or she is in the U. S. See 8 C. F. R. ยง 223.2(b)(1)(Re-entry permit may be approved IF filed by a person who is in the U. S. at the time of application)(emphasis added). An application is not complete until an individual has provided his or her fingerprints and photograph (i. e. , biometrics).

The newly revised I-131 instructions also provide procedures for requesting an expedited ASC appointment for biometrics collection and for requesting expedited delivery of a travel document, where needed. USCIS believes that the majority of LPRs who live abroad will be able to re-enter the U. S. using their Permanent Resident Cards. Those LPRs who currently live abroad, but who know that when they return to the U. S. they will need to apply for a Re-entry Permit because they plan to leave the U. S. again for more than a year and will need the permit to re-enter the next time they come to the U. S. , USCIS encourages these LPRs to anticipate their need for the Re-entry Permit sufficiently in advance of their travel and, if necessary, to follow the procedures for obtaining an expedited ASC appointment where absolutely necessary.

If the LPR departs from the U. S while the I-131 is pending, but before biometrics are taken, then the adjudication of the I-131 re-entry permit application will not be affected as long as the applicant returns to the U. S. to attend the biometrics appointment before the first year of foreign travel has ended. In such case, the LPR could apply for reentry to the U. S. using only his or her I-551 Permanent Resident Card if he has been absent for less than one year. If it is necessary, the LPR may make arrangements to have his Re-entry Permit delivered to him through a U. S. consulate or a USCIS office abroad.

Steven A. Culbreath, Esq.
Immigration Lawyer

Immigration = Opportunities Possibilities.
Let me show you how.

Visit my website and blog. Contact me for a consultation.


Article Source:

Rate this Article: 
BMW Sauber's Kubica No Regrets For Villeneuve's Absence
Rated 4 / 5
based on 5 votes

Related Articles:

Absence of Leadership

by: Scott Sterling (July 08, 2008) 

What To Do When Your Pet Goes Crazy In Your Absence?

by: Bhatnagar Sumit (May 19, 2007) 

The Absence Of Morality

by: Scott Langley (March 15, 2007) 
(Arts and Entertainment)

Problems in Older Relationships 3- Absence of Sex

by: Elaine Sihera (April 04, 2007) 

Reduce Employee Absence From Work

by: Bert Steiner (January 15, 2009) 

A Parent's Absence - There Is No Easy Answer

by: Rory Sullivan (June 14, 2007) 
(Home and Family/Parenting)

Employers' Guide to Sickness Absence

by: Mathew Seage (July 28, 2010) 
(Business/Small Business)

Website Blunders - Absence of Graphics

by: Linda Goldsborough (January 07, 2008) 
(Internet and Businesses Online/Web Design)

Does Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder?

by: Kenneth Deland (July 22, 2008) 
(News/Pure Opinion)

BMW Sauber's Kubica No Regrets For Villeneuve's Absence

by: Glady Reign (June 05, 2007)