I don't believe that ANY “physical" maneuvers or “techniques" are really worth teaching children. An EIGHT year old vs. a GROWN adult who is most likely a violent psychopath with a HISTORY of violent criminal behavior? I can't see it.
Instead, emphasize the following:
1. RUNNING at the FIRST sign of trouble. IMMEDIATELY and in a “zig zag" pattern and using the environment as a “hedge".
2. SCREAMING as LOUDLY and HYSTERICALLY as possible.
3. Wriggle, twist, turn, jump. . . . . . ANYTHING to make the potential victim HARD to hold and control. . . . . . . . . . THEN 1 & 2!
4. RUN towards any source of HELP and SAFETY.
5. ONLY two potential “physical" maneuvers even worth considering - jabbing, clawing and scratching at the eyes with either one or both hands in a CONTINUOUS VIOLENT manner and BITING. ANYTHING carried: Knapsack, book bag, school books should be TOSSED at the LEGS! Anything to make the skel trip, maneuver to dodge, stumble ANYTHING that will SLOW him DOWN!
7. Carrying a HI decibel safety whistle(FOX is a good one) on a WRIST strap NOT around the neck AND a small hi powered LED light also on the wrist.
8. EMPHASIZE ESCAPE! If dragged to a vehicle(almost always the perp's MO) seize the KEYS(from the ignition) at the first opportunity and TOSS THEM, either out a window or into the back seat(the farthest, longest, hardest place for the perp to attempt to retrieve them).
9. If forced into a trunk, pull, yank, kick or BATTER out a tail light and shove anything through the hole that will ATTRACT someone’s ATTENTION!
10. NEVER, EVER, EVER GO ANYWHERE WITH A STRANGER!!!!!!!! Fight, scream, run ON THE SPOT! This goes for ANY abduction! NEVER GO WITH YOUR ABDUCTOR! NEVER!
11. Awareness. But DON'T use “scare" tactics with a kid.
12. TIME is of the ESSENCE! Increase the TIME that the perp is in PUBLIC VIEW and you'll go a LONG way in FORCING him to abandon the attack and FLEE. DRAW ATTENTION in ANY WAY possible to the scene IMMEDIATELY! NEVER give in a GO with an abductor. WHENEVER POSSIBLE MARK HIM! Try to remember EVERYTHING about the assailant, his vehicle, etc.
13. DO EVERYTHING to make oneself a HARD TARGET! Attackers what VICTIMS that are easily dominated, controlled and done so in as SHORT an amount of time as possible. MORE TIME. MORE EXPOSURE, MORE CHANCE OF GETTING CAUGHT!
14. Once again, DISTANCE as far and fast as possible is YOUR ALLY!
Hope this helps!
Copyright 2003 www.thetruthaboutselfdefense.com©
Carl Cestari began his study of the martial arts with judo at the age of 7 under the direction of Yoshisada Yonezuka. During the past forty plus years Carl has dedicated his life to studying the martial arts, hand to hand combat systems, history and religion. He is continually improving himself through his studies. What makes Carl unique is his combination of martial arts, law enforcement, military and real world experience. Carl has been exposed to a multitude of people with a wide variety experience. Below is a list of some of Carl’s ranks and honors.
Shinan (Founder)Tekkenryu jujutsu
Ryokudan (6th degree)Koshinkai Karate under John Burrelle
Godan (5th degree)Jujutsu under Clarke of the World Jujutsu Fedaration (now defunct)
Sandan (3rd degree)Nippon Kempo under Narabu Sada
Nidan (2nd degree)Judo under Masafumi Suzuki
Shodan (1st degree)Judo under Yoshisada Yonezuka
Shodan (1st degree)Shukokai Karate under Kimura, Kadachi and Yonezuka
Shodan (1st degree)Daitoryu Aikijujutsu
Instructors Certificate-Charles Nelson System of Self Defense under Charlie Nelson