1. Never swim alone. No never. Always have a buddy.
2. Use sunscreen. I know, it is gooey, but a sunburn hurts.
3. Stay where an adult can see you. No excuses.
4. Always swim where there is a lifeguard on duty, or an adult supervising.
5. Follow any rules posted at the pool or beach. Rules are to keep you safe.
6. Follow mom and dad's rules if you have a pool in your backyard.
7. Do not swim with gum or candy in your mouth. You could choke.
8. Do not go in water over your head unless you know how to swim.
9. Take rest periods out of the water for 15 minutes every hour so you don't get overtired.
10. Drink plenty of cool fresh water while out in the summer heat. Also enjoy fresh fruit or snacks throughout the day for energy.
These tips are brief, but you get the idea why mom or dad continues to remind you of most of them every time you want to swim. Now you have the simple reasons behind the rules. Things like choking, blisters from the sun, dangerous to swim alone or in deep water. . . you get the idea.
Follow these simple rules when swimming at the pool or beach. Your parents will be happy knowing you are being safe. And you will enjoy being cool while having safe summer fun. When you are responsible with out being scolded or yelled at, both you and your parents will enjoy the summer. So remembering the rules and understanding the importance of safety in the water is a win- win situation for both you and your parents. Keep Cool.
website at http://www.freewebs.com/heartfeltwords4kids/
I am a registered pediatric critical care nurse and freelance writer. I strive to provide accurate information to help families and children cope with health care issues whether they are acute or death and dying issues. Feel free to email with comments or suggestions.