Fashion careers are approached as demanding and attractive because of ample opportunities offered and good remunerations. These jobs calls for lot of hardwork and creativity hence, they should not be considered easy. They require lot of understanding with respect to various minute and intricate matters like awareness about customer preferences, materials, fabrics, color combinations, suitability of a design for a particular task and the basic demand in the market. One should consider all these features of the industry before opting for this career.
Below mentioned are few essentials that are required to be successful in this stream.
1. Education and Domain Knowledge: there are lot of courses for acquiring knowledge and degree to become a fashion designer. One can enroll for renowned institute for the same. After completing the course, internship helps in gaining lot of experience which is an integral part of the curriculum. A fashion designer should also have knowledge about procurement, photography and technical designing. All this can be imparted with certified courses. They can be achieved with a full-time or a part-time education.
2. Effective Communication: For a designer, interaction is quiet high with variour players from the fashion industry, effective communication is essential. They can build clintele on basis of good networking and interaction. A designer can build reputation if the customers are satisfied and this is possible only if the client is happy with the final outcome. There should be clear understanding between both the parties. At the same time, the designer should be able to make the tailor understand the nitigrities of the design. Selling skills are a good add-on.
3. Creativity: People don’t like to wear similar dresses. This is where creativity is required. It’s a key to develop unique patterns and designs which can be easily promoted. A designer should avoid using others patterns and style. Each one should have their signature designs to be well-known and successful. Creativity is required for all range of fashion products. They can be accessories, apparels , clothes and bridal collection.
4. An Eye for Detail: Right selection is required for all the options available in field of fashion industry careers. One should be able to understand fabrics, combination of colors and combination of accessories. For a fashion designer, understanding the occasion and designing the costume accordingly is very important. They should be able to match the outfit with the budget provided. For a fashion designer, knowledge of basic requirement are essential and for a fashion photographer, details of angels, types of poses and color choice is critical.
5. Knowledge of Current Fashion Trend: To be known in the market one should follow the trends of the industry. Colors, fabrics and patterns change with time and season. Its very important to update the stock as per the requirement. A designer should also be aware of different types of clothes or products preferred by clients from various demographics.
One has to like a job to deliver it well. Since becoming a designer calls for creativity and ability to forecast the final outfit , one needs to be prepared for it. Knack of marketing is essential to make it profitable and popular. Also consider getting a website with web designs that are reminiscent of your signature style. If one has all the above mentined essentials, excelling in it would be a cakewalk.
An established graphic designer and illustrator, the author wants to create a world more beautiful with her art and words. Working with various Vancouver Web Design companies, she loves to read and explore about responsive web design Vancouver, typography and color while keeping busy with her three children.