Not everyone will find your web site through Yahoo and Google. Here are some easy ways to increase traffic to your site beyond achieving a high search engine rank:
- Leave your site address on your voicemail. Customers are already calling you – why not entice them to visit your site so they can learn more about you and your products.
- Offer coupons to your customers, but make them go to your web site to print them off.
- Have an on-line contest.
- Have a survey for your customers on your website. Have an incentive (i. e. 20% off their next purchase) if they complete the survey. They are also a great market research tool.
- Make sure your site address is in your email signature.
- Use your email account from your web site (i. e. email@example.com. This is a soft sell, but it tells people where to look if they want more information about you.
- Make press releases, and ensure they include your site address on them. You need to alert the relevant media about any innovations or developments with your business through a well written press release. Free publicity in newspaper and magazine articles are far more effective than purchased promotions, and they are free.
- Promotional items like t-shirts and mugs should have your url on them. If you have a company vehicle, make sure it includes your domain name.
- Give away free stuff on your web site. Examples are free pictures, articles, software, or anything else in your line of business. People will visit your site for the freebies, giving you the chance to sell your other products and services.
- Participate in web-based discussion boards that are relevant to your business. Don’t just read entries, participate and help others. Don’t forget to include a link to your site in your signature, and people will click on the link to learn more about your expertise.
- Purchase pay-per-click (ppc) advertising to get keyword targeted traffic. PPC are ads you place on other sites or on search result pages, usually through search engines like Google. You choose how much you want to spend, and the search words where you want your ad to appear. You only pay when customers click on your ad. Your ad will show up under “sponsored links".
- Any stationary should include you’re a URL. Business cards, letterhead and envelopes should all have your domain name.
- Use on-line auctions like e-bay to sell your products, and include a link to your site.
- Have an electronic or print newsletter with a link to your site. Newsletters are important because they keep your name in front of your customers.
- Submit your site to the yellow pages on-line and other directories for your industry.
- If you have a storefront, put a sign in the window when you are closed that reads" Open 24/7 at www.yoursite.com.
- Purchase ads in other email newsletters that reach your target audience.
I haven’t listed every way to promote your site, but if you take some time and adapt these strategies to your industry, you are sure to be found. You can find traffic beyond the search engines! Be found and have fun!
Colleen Happ designs effective and affordable websites. View her portfolio at http://www.happconsulting.com .
Colleen offers free one hour consultations to show how an effective website can benefit your business. She can be reached at 403-807-8225.