With all the buzz surrounding offline Internet Marketing Efforts, “Guerilla Marketing Tactics For Selling Internet Market Services to Local Businesses" is probably good knowledge to have. Guerilla marketing techniques are a constant in a number of industries and they are based on low-cost, but effective ways of delivering a sales message to a large group of people. Often times, they are small messages that must lead a prospect to a place where a larger message can be delivered, again with low cost. This is called two-step marketing, but that's another story. For the purposes of this article, we're going to look at a few guerilla marketing tactics that have proven to be extremely successful marketing models for other businesses and industries. These tactics include things like classified ads, flyers, business cards, road signs, direct mail, telemarketing and knocking on doors, and press releases, and networking groups and mastermind groups.
1. ) Classified Ads- Both online and offline classified ads can be very effective with a good headline and a call-to-action message. Some free classified ad services are online free classified ads like craigs list and US Free Ads. Many small local newspapers, penny savers and flyers, offer classified ad space free on their web-sites. The most effective way to use this tactic is to deliver a powerful and engaging headline, then use a call to action to have them visit a web-site, call a pre-recorded information line, or call you personally for an appointment. I would use a combination of all three and track which ad gives the best results. Then I would heavily promote that method. If advertising in a paid for newspaper or local publication of some sort, you can use the same exact tactics.
2. ) Flyers- Passing out flyers is cheap. You can get a thousand flyers made up for about $30.00 at a local printer. You can spend $50.00-$60.00 and have color too. Some great places to pass out flyers is to local businesses, at chambers of commerce and at networking group meetings.
3. ) Business cards- again, like classified ads, you have a small amount of space, so you have to deliver a powerful message very quickly. One of the most interesting business cards I've ever seen look like a folded up $100.00 bill and the sales message is printed inside. These are also cheap, because they are printed on a very thin paper. I think I got my last set of a thousand for about $25.00. Drop these on the floor in the mall, and go stand somewhere where you can watch people pick them up. It's a thrill and it's funny.
4. ) Road Signs- also known as bandit signs or yard signs, these signs are put out on busy roads on light poles and on metal stakes in the ground at high traffic locations and intersections. When you think about how many cars are on the road every day, that's a lot of exposure. A side note on the topic however, which is important to remember, is that many cities have ordinances against using these signs. You can get around it by using a website address on the sign or a prepaid cell phone for a number to call.
5. ) Direct mail- Direct Mail is another low cost and effective method of guerilla marketing. Just open up your yellow pages and start with the A's. The best targets here are mom and pop small businesses. If you start calling on big chains, you will get caught up in proposals, phone tag games and voicemail systems. It's best to stick with Mom and Pop Businesses as the decision makers are usually the people opening the mail. What you want to do with direct mail is offer them something for free, such as a review of their website and web marketing strategy if they do something for you such as opt-in to a list, call that pre-recorded message, or call you for a personal appointment. Your copy should be just as good as any sales letter you write for any product you are selling on the web. Great headline (controversial is always good), testimonials from satisified clients, a message telling them what you are offering, paint a picture of how much better their lives would be with your product or service, contingent upon the use of YOUR service, and more testimonials. A powerhouse close and some bonuses will cinch the deal, and don't forget the P. S.
These are 5 Guerilla Marketing Tactics that have been proven to work in many other business models. Using these tactics in a systemized and strategic way will align you with successful marketers not only on the web, but offline as well. Be certain to create a plan to implement these systems and strategies and follow it. Success will follow you.
-Author “Guerilla Marketing Secrets of Selling Internet Marketing Services To Local Offline Businesses"